Australia is it really worth it??

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:001_huh:

Just one point, not sure how old you are brothergrim but once you turn 30 you will not be able to get a working holiday visa, choice of how you travel to oz is very limited, i could only really travel out on a 457 purely because i didnt have lots of money in the bank, and all my qualifications are (trade) tickets, NPTC, i didnt do a college course

you have to either have these tickets converted at various costs or have every piece of info to support each ticket including when you sat the test, instructor, how many hours spent on each ticket possible a letter from each assessor the list goes on and on, then you have to send it to the TRA and be assessed

i failed the TRA so i didnt qualify to be level 3 cert, luckly at the moment arborist is still classed as a gardener, but the immi govement change they're mind like the wind,

as i have advised guys who have contacted me the quickest way you can get here, start working and find out whether you like it is to get a working holiday visa and experience it first hand,

if you would like to try Sydney out then send us an email, we can give you some work and you'll know if you like this place

steve

That's one of the things Im 29, 30 in April so time is running out, my eldest is 12 (you do the Maths lol) I don't want to get past it and, I wish or I could of I should of ,,

:001_huh:

That's one of the things Im 29, 30 in April so time is running out, my eldest is 12 (you do the Maths lol) I don't want to get past it and, I wish or I could of I should of ,,

just get the WHV sorted now, you dont have to leave just because you have a visa, once you got it they cant take it off you, sort the visa then decide if you want to do it, a WHV costs about £110,

id rather loose 110 bucks than regret not going,

once your here and earning its so much easier, we will help in any way we can

steve

Edited by Mr APE

hey brother grim,

Dont know if its worth my pennys worth or not but ya getting it. i was in oz for just over a year 3 years ago. i went over to work for someones mate which dint work oiut in sa and then spoke to a friend in vic who needed some help with the bushfires they had in and around marysville i was suppose to be there for 3 months but ended up doing a year in total. i did some hellish takedowns of burnt hollow trees climbed rock faces to remove trees and did some huge huge fells. i left a year later after falling out with my boss and moved back to europe where im now living and working. i see my stay there in pretty much two ways, firstly from a point of view of working that place was great for me i had been to college done 18months learning from a very good climber and having a great network of his friends to speak to all the time in many ways spoilt to moving there to do that kind of work. the people i worked with were excellent at there jobs and learnt heaps about the job and also got over the first years fears of being in the trees my first tree there was 28m to the first branch. the climbers out there are good guys really know there stuff and really try and push themselves to do better which was great so for the work it is amazing. from the life point of view i actually didnt like it, i thought it had nothing to excite me except the grampians as im a huge rock fan, the place was just not for me and as a result fell out with my boss and moved back ive met lots of others with the same experience too. so i guess it depends what ya want out of it really and if you think it will be better. it wasnt for me. the skills i learnt there were hugely invalueable and ill never forget or regret my time there just not a place for me to live for life. but we all want different stuff. maybe not what you want to hear but i think it is good to hear both sides. grass aint always greener and all that...

Hi all, me and the mrs are thinking of going over next year for a working holiday. can any one give me advise on finding work, do i look for work once i'm there or do i find work before i go? what equipment do i take with me or do i buy over there? what are the standard of work ethics in OZ and what do they expect from workers i.e level of qualifications and how many years experiance? how do i go about getting sponserd and the best places to find work? sorry for all the questions guys just what to paint a picture in my mind be for i go. many thanks for reading, regards western:001_smile:

Glad to see one of my photos as your profile pic stevo! To anyone thinking of coming to oz to work, JUST DO IT! It was the best choice for me and I think it has improved my climbing quite a bit. Not that I was much good before!! Might get to meet you finally if you are in Sydney with Ace Arbor for a while Drew! You can bring a rope wrench for me to play with before I decide to buy one or not!! Ive only had about 10 minutes on one so far :(