The NEW skylotec passo-pl karabiner whats your view???

Rhystree

Without doubt the Skylotec Passo “Pinch” lock has three “mechanical” actions to open the gate. The Karabiner is PPE rated and certified by the TÜV in Germany and the gate is classified by SKYLOTEC as a “Pinch-lock”.

karabiner_4.jpg.aebfdc0cee54ea96e01a6945419e7b87.jpg

AFAG 401 the UK “Guide to best practice” recommends that

“Each karabiner used to connect the harness to a lifeline should have a spring-loaded self-locking gate that requires at least three distinct movements to open it.”

It is down to the climber using the Passo to decide if the three mechanical actions of the Passo meets this criteria or that its "innovative design" make the gate too easy to open for use in the main line system. Everyone is entitled to make there own opinion and judgment and thank Arbtalk for the ability to discuss matters like these.

Thanks to Rhys for raising the awareness that under unusual circumstances if you securely hold the karabiner then side load it in reverse you can (like other karabiners) open the gate. Hopefully any competent Arborist will be following the international drive towards preventing side loading any Karabiner by using tight spliced eyes or captivating the rope using a knot girth hitch or various products produced for this purpose.

karabiner_2.jpg.186ec1fee0da2fe9c2677da11ebf2932.jpg

Rhys, BERGEN asked the question:” I'd also be very interested to know who the inspector with decades of experience is coz I've been inspecting for about 10 myself and I'd be keen to discuss his/her reservations.”

karabiner_1.jpg.9420261d05fff4e38e35e42627c15b76.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A PM naming the guilty inspector would be the preferred option I should imagine? :)

I am not the inspector in question but I would like to know how he is guilty and in what kangaroo court?

The information provided is that it failed, it can’t fail a loler inspection on function unless it’s intended function is impaired.

The inspector can tell you that he thinks it’s not suitable for PPE. I can give you a loler ticket for a boot lace but I will tell you it is unsuitable for PPE.

I am not the inspector in question but I would like to know how he is guilty and in what kangaroo court?

The information provided is that it failed, it can’t fail a loler inspection on function unless it’s intended function is impaired.

The inspector can tell you that he thinks it’s not suitable for PPE. I can give you a loler ticket for a boot lace but I will tell you it is unsuitable for PPE.

A kangaroo court is exactly what we should like to try and avoid.

So "not guilty" then?

Guilty was maybe the wrong word to use, I don't know the LOLER inspector who failed the product or even if the product was even inspected in the first place, only the poster who mentioned that it had failed the inspection knows who may or may not have failed it, if it had failed due to a fault then fair enough, it would be useful to all of us to know what the fault was, if there was another reason for the product to fail the inspection then that information would also be pretty useful for all of us to share.:001_smile:

Guilty was maybe the wrong word to use, I don't know the LOLER inspector who failed the product or even if the product was even inspected in the first place, only the poster who mentioned that it had failed the inspection knows who may or may not have failed it, if it had failed due to a fault then fair enough, it would be useful to all of us to know what the fault was, if there was another reason for the product to fail the inspection then that information would also be pretty useful for all of us to share.:001_smile:

It can’t fail if it operates within its parameters. It also didn’t fail if the inspector said it should only be used for “only to be used for tool attachment”.

<snip>

Thanks to Rhys for raising the awareness that under unusual circumstances if you securely hold the karabiner then side load it in reverse you can (like other karabiners) open the gate. Hopefully any competent Arborist will be following the international drive towards preventing side loading any Karabiner by using tight spliced eyes or captivating the rope using a knot girth hitch or various products produced for this purpose.

<snip>

This is where the anchor hitch is a great knot. It cinches down on the krab which keeps it in place and prevents cross loading of the gate. Dead easy to tie and won't come undone (provided, as usual, that it's properly tied, dressed and set).

I read all that and it sounds good but then I had to go back to page 1 and watch the video again. You want to big up about years then I've been technical climbing for 34 years and professional climbing for 22.

I didn't have one of those in my hand agreed but from the video I can see how that thing works and I wouldn't want it mixed up with my PPE.

Just my opinion.

Without doubt the Skylotec Passo “Pinch” lock has three “mechanical” actions to open the gate. The Karabiner is PPE rated and certified by the TÜV in Germany and the gate is classified by SKYLOTEC as a “Pinch-lock”.

[ATTACH]84600[/ATTACH]

AFAG 401 the UK “Guide to best practice” recommends that

“Each karabiner used to connect the harness to a lifeline should have a spring-loaded self-locking gate that requires at least three distinct movements to open it.”

It is down to the climber using the Passo to decide if the three mechanical actions of the Passo meets this criteria or that its "innovative design" make the gate too easy to open for use in the main line system. Everyone is entitled to make there own opinion and judgment and thank Arbtalk for the ability to discuss matters like these.

[ATTACH]84601[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]84602[/ATTACH]

Rhys, BERGEN asked the question:” I'd also be very interested to know who the inspector with decades of experience is coz I've been inspecting for about 10 myself and I'd be keen to discuss his/her reservations.”