The NEW skylotec passo-pl karabiner whats your view???

Rhystree

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've just had my loler done and I put this karabiner in just to see what was said and ....... It failed, not suitable for ppe, only to be used for tool attachment. This loler was done by a big name in the arb industry who has 10s and 10s of years experience with new kit. Need I say more!!

I can open the gate with a loose spliced eye moving over the gate with minimul weight only 5 meters of rope pulling down, not good and not safe in my eyes but what do I know.

I got one of these in mid December & passed it round the lads - it got good reviews so I got another half a dozen; they're still popular and we've had no 'fails' to date.

I tried a similar experiment with a standard 3-waty and got it to open on the 3rd attempt without really trying so I reckon you could find summat wrong with any piece of kit if you looked hard enough but I'm surprised to hear that the krab failed a LOLER inspection - I'd also be very interested to know who the inspector with decades of experience is coz I've been inspecting for about 10 myself and I'd be keen to discuss his/her reservations.

Some folks just don't like some kit because it's new/old/different/not sold/made/used by their mates (delete as applicable).

Nice colours and a nice product; thanks to Skylotec for thinking outside the box & giving me an early Christmas pressie!

I wondered that also, but then I wondered the same about the petzl ball locks but never had any problems with them. I'd like to think skylotec have tested that aspect thoroughly.

Personally I think an improvement in the design would be to countersink the buttons into the gate...not sure why they didnt do that in the first place.

I bet countersinking the buttons into the gate could made it a right pain to open with gloves on though. Normal three way gate is simple and effective, but they can be undone with the rope fairly easily too. The only 100% safe way would be to have a gate you lock with a key which you then remove so the rope can't open it... and that would be fun. Best bet is to check everything, and check it again, and keep an eye on things!

I bet countersinking the buttons into the gate could made it a right pain to open with gloves on though. Normal three way gate is simple and effective, but they can be undone with the rope fairly easily too. The only 100% safe way would be to have a gate you lock with a key which you then remove so the rope can't open it... and that would be fun. Best bet is to check everything, and check it again, and keep an eye on things!

I still personally think this is the safest krab on the market, even though we can't technically use it.

m_4rpYi8ffjTQ9K8zfMP0NTh8WdqnkQq2OYAxysFFgMPfuiOWk4JH0z1y4ITcGvOYlVN-zFkd2TsT4DbnVjGCeTErLGJVFQzShU6RnSTQAE9wbWx3gsTMOQQH96lmUxMWDWrtkda1_K1Be-O9KlwWfy14a48L9fBwPbL9pC7

thanks for all of the comments, is this a true three way karabiner tho? is the 3 way recognized by the 3 individual moving parts of opening or the three movements of the person opening the gate?? i thought we may of had some input from some kit dealers about this biner but so far no joy