Terms and conditions…… anyone have them?

ecotreecare

How did they try to get out of paying?

It's just from your post it seems as though they said something along the lines of "You said you would do that tree and you haven't" etc, in which case just a quote that contains a list of the work required and some basic payment terms should do.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind a copy too if that's ok Gibbon??

Got messed about today... Had a job booked in for next Monday and Tuesday and the customer phoned earlier to say he's had a cheaper quote, and if I still want to do the job, I will have to match it! I had emailed the quotation but had verbal confirmation of the job! I just knew he was going to be trouble!

I won't lower my price out of principle (and because there would be no money in it at that price) and next time I have a "suspiciously" awkward customer, I will definitely get it in writing!

Had to let 2 subbies down who I had booked for next week too.

I don't think any paper work would really prevent them from cancelling.

Even if you took them to court and won, you would only get your out of pocket expenses, which in our line of work are likely to be very little.

And would you really want to do a job for someone who had decided they did not want you doing the job??? I know I wouldn't.

No it probably wouldn't have stopped this customer from cancelling the job but it may help in the future.

I don't want to ever do work for this guy again, and I bet the tree will still be standing this time next year as he's such a PITA!

I should find out which Indian restaurant he owns, place an order, then haggle him down! ;-)

Everybody will have their own variations of terms and conditions but you should include basics such as exactly what work is to be done, how much it will cost and when payment is expected. Some jobs require timescales for when the work will be carried out/completed by and I find that a caveat about dog mess is handy if it looks to be an issue when you quote. :001_smile:

No it probably wouldn't have stopped this customer from cancelling the job but it may help in the future.

I don't want to ever do work for this guy again, and I bet the tree will still be standing this time next year as he's such a PITA!

I should find out which Indian restaurant he owns, place an order, then haggle him down! ;-)

mattplace, you have received sound advise regarding how to handle this matter go forth and use it. Since your in business for yourself the really nice thing about not having to do work for this guy again is that you don't have to.:thumbup1:. I understand how frustrating this is for you, and in time you will laugh about the matter. Acquiring the confidence and experience needed in this industry to carry on.

easy-lift guy

That explains it

You might have known:001_smile:

Up to now I write out a quote, post it and if the customer accepts you go and do the job. The problem is twice last year I got screwed over by customers. The old “you said this” and “you didn’t say that”. I remind them that the quote is what was quoted but it doesn’t seem to wash. With a $200 its not too bad but both jobs were over $5000 and it stings a bit!

My idea is to get some quoting sheets made up. I’ve seen them with carbon copies where you write out the quote, the customer signs it and keeps the top one and sends the other two back.

Does anyone use these? Are they any good… but also what terms and conditions do you have on the back of them? Does anyone know where I can get a list of terms and conditions of trade specific to tree work?

Dear Ecotreecare,

My name is jaime bray, I volunteer for the Arboricultural Associations AWG (Arborists Working Group) This matter has been in the pipeline for a couple of months now, and as such we endeavour to have a set of terms and conditions; that may help to guide companies in producing their own terms and conditions, or adopt the ones produced.

It is unlikely that they will be checked by a solicitor, but a lot of hard work is currently going into researching the integrity of the t's and c's that will be produced, As with most things voluntary, it will take a little longer, but we are very close to having them completed, for public viewing and use.

If anybody has any t's and c's that they feel may add a little something special, and they do not mind having them used by fellow arborists, then please feel free to email them to me at [email protected] and I shall ensure that they get to the relevant persons of the group carrying out this task. Mine have a few personal niche experiences covered in them that assist in those sticky weird situs.

Mine have been submitted, so im not after a freebie.(sceptics) lol.

Regards,

Jaime Bray

I've managed for over 15+years :biggrin:

But then I have a paperwork phobia:blushing:

Me too.. I hate doing paperwork and I hate the necessity of it all, but I think with commercial clients it's important to have the T & C's right from the outset or you leave yourself wide open to abuse.

With domestic customers, it;s probably not quite so bad as your financial exposure to the customer is probably not likley to be as much as for a commercial client.. for example, most domestics are a day or two days whereas a commercial job could be one or two weeks with all the kit and lads there