Polyporus squamosus - extensive white rot.

David Humphries

• 6 months later...
Any thoughts on Polyporus on Ash? Fast and extensive or slow and mainly heartwood?

Hopefully slow! Here's a corker of a host I found today in a busy park in Worcester. The third picture shows the tree just to the left of the occupied bench centre frame, so the target is pretty high.

I assume the park is aware as the tree has been quite heavily reduced in the past.

597661cfbde74_2012-09-2915_41_18.jpg.3499eb164de1ee627056741b5233a08f.jpg

597661cfb9a9c_2012-09-2915_35_28.jpg.6fe8b1edb1fa5f059aa164fba203545f.jpg

597661cfb4b91_2012-09-2915_32_25.jpg.2d249dd92f851e7070167d34460b6a09.jpg

Hopefully slow! Here's a corker of a host I found today in a busy park in Worcester. The third picture shows the tree just to the left of the occupied bench centre frame, so the target is pretty high.

I assume the park is aware as the tree has been quite heavily reduced in the past.

High target indeed.

Would be interesting to know if the tree has had the extent of decay evaluated.

Would be fascinating to see this one sliced and diced.

I'm thinking that the tree is being managed for it shade value as much as asthetics and wildlife benefit, particularly situated in such a honey spot.

Would you think that squamous would invade and then dominate hispidus in this situation Tony ?

Would be fascinating to see this one sliced and diced.

I'm thinking that the tree is being managed for it shade value as much as asthetics and wildlife benefit, particularly situated in such a honey spot.

Would you think that squamous would invade and then dominate hispidus in this situation Tony ?

I was contemplating this and the simple answer is that I can only assume, so here is my pennies worth. youll wish you hadnt asked in a moment or too!:lol:

Hispidus is a biotroph, of this we can be pretty well certain, and the only time I ever found it on wood that was no longer living it was a panic fruitbody on a recently fallen ash. (Within whippendell woods) Now, Hispidus is the more commonly hosted fungus in ash populations down south, here it is warmer and dryer, move north or west to wales and we find Polyporus the most common of ash colonising polypores of stemwoods. here I think we have a possible colonisation of the column of dysfunction associated with a strip canker created by a hispidus colonisation, the polyporus a secondary coloniser.

The question is can poly displace hispidus being a more rapid and necrotrophic parasite? a petri dish awaits another rfungal V's scenario!

of one thing I would be very sure of, it is thus, when two principles go to war in the mainstems of hosts it is never good for the mechanics of trees!

with the area fenced off, is target rating really high?

Fascinating study though; I'd rather see it sprout and repruned rather than sliced and diced. if someone were curious i would suspect mere probing would reveal a bit.

Hi,

Just been to see a sycamore with obvious P. squamosus brackets on trunk associated with extensive historical lifting, and Rigidiporus ulmarius present as well.

Veterans in the strict sense, but target rich as they say in the old US of A. so will remove, no pics unfortunately, is this a common combination?

Cheers,

Leigh