cartman

Hi all,

I have today gained an apple tree that is about 5 years old and i'm told the apples go Pink and are about a tennis ball and they are edible.

Problem is i can't remember the name of it so if some one could help that be brilliant :001_smile:

Also the tap root got damaged will it survive if its replanted ?

Thanks

Edited by cartman
wrong wording

Tennis ball is quite big - normal dessert apple size. If it's a normal dessert apple, and you're looking for the variety, what would really help is the ripening season. Most common 'pink' ones are Discovery and Beauty of Bath which also develop pink flesh, or Katy or Bella Vista which don't.

Damage to the tap root - highly likely to survive it. Give it a good strong fencepost type stake - ideally chestnut as you want it to last. Then tie it on firmly but not too tightly with an old bit of bike inner tube. Give it some good organic matter - compost etc, both dug in and as a good mulch around 3ft diameter, and remember to keep it well watered next year. Leave the stake in permanently, but remember to check the tie each winter and loosen it as necessary.

Only if it's Bella Vista don't bother with the above - use it as kindling.

Alec

Tennis ball is quite big - normal dessert apple size. If it's a normal dessert apple, and you're looking for the variety, what would really help is the ripening season. Most common 'pink' ones are Discovery and Beauty of Bath which also develop pink flesh, or Katy or Bella Vista which don't.

Damage to the tap root - highly likely to survive it. Give it a good strong fencepost type stake - ideally chestnut as you want it to last. Then tie it on firmly but not too tightly with an old bit of bike inner tube. Give it some good organic matter - compost etc, both dug in and as a good mulch around 3ft diameter, and remember to keep it well watered next year. Leave the stake in permanently, but remember to check the tie each winter and loosen it as necessary.

Only if it's Bella Vista don't bother with the above - use it as kindling.

Alec

if it is any of the above what type of soil would suit it as it came from very poor clay soil and i do mean clay it was horrible

any idea on size?

Thanks

if it is any of the above what type of soil would suit it as it came from very poor clay soil and i do mean clay it was horrible

any idea on size?

Thanks

Both of the above are governed by the rootstock - apples are pretty much universally budded/grafted onto a stock, which has been selected for soil type, ultimate size and ease of propagation (most apples don't propagate very easily).

There's no absolute way of telling the rootstock, but a photo of the whole tree, knowing it's 5yrs old and the original soil type, would allow a pretty educated guess to be made.

Another thing that's important is to make sure that you don't plant it deeper than the grafting point. If you're not quite sure what you're looking for here, put up a photo of the lower part of the trunk - from where the roots are up say a foot, and I can draw you an arrow on it. Don't assume the original planting depth was correct!

Alec