Advise needed please woodchip boiler/ log boiler

Buzzsurgeon

Can anyone recommend a woodchip boiler or log boiler for use in a domestic property please, a unit that is very basic and perhaps requires manual loading of woodchip and would replace an oil boiler.

I have searched the internet but become a bit bamboozled by all the info. If anyone has or uses a good simple setup I would be interested to learn the detail.

Thanks in advance

Brett:thumbup1:

I think the poorer the fuel, i.e. green chip, the bigger the boiler needs to be, a really big fire will burn pretty much any thing.

Small ones tend to be pellets not chip, as pellets are a very good very constant and very dry fuel. But their not free or cheap.

Buzzsurgeon

I am currently looking to do the same although I plan to leave the oil boiler in place as backup. I have looked into both Eco Angus and ETA log gasification systems.

Log boilers need an accumulator tank to store the heat and they basically batch burn and heat the water in the highly insulated tank to be used as needed.

Pellet boilers will fire up on demand and do not therefore require a tank, but the fuel is expensive. I’ve not really looked into woodchip, but I’m not convinced this is a system that is suited to domestic installations.

All bio fuel boilers will be eligible for Renewable Heat Incentive payments (RHI) when it comes in late next year, although the level of subsidy has not yet been finalised. If the system heats more than one property, with separate council tax / business rates bills, then the commercial RHI already applies and this gives a decent level of support.

Wood boiler systems are expensive to buy and to have installed. They also take up a lot of space. However if you can source cheap or free fuel, you are replacing an oil system, you have the space and a lifestyle that allows for regularly feeding the fuel and you can come up with a hefty initial capital outlay, then they look to be a good option.

An alternative is a stove and back boiler to linked into an existing system. This is not eligible for RHI and seems to involve some very complex plumbing and has the same issues about feeding, but may be worth looking at.

Plumbing with a cold water tank already in place need not be that complicated. This link will show you some popular ways of doing the plumbing.

http://www.esse.com/pdfs/Centraliser.pdf

Remember when selecting a boiler stove that you have two heat outputs, heat output to room and heat output to water. Get the heat output to room correct, then sort how it looks or what type ( freestanding/inset etc) and then see what heat output to water to can get.

A room of say 5mx 4m will want about 4kw to the room given poor insulation.

A

We're fitting a Perge 30KW log boiler with 2500lt accumulator which will be situated in the garage, it'll run UFH downstairs and radiators upstairs & feed a unvented HW tank in the house.

We choose the Perge for its simplicity.