Whats the weather like near you?

mendiplogs

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Can't argue with any of that.  And you haven't even mentioned the decades of bodging that blights our houses even more.  My 1920's house is stifling upstairs at the moment because plastic windows were fitted in the late nineties with very few openers for instance.  It also has many damp issues made worse by the government sponsored cavity wall insulation fitted in 1999.  At least these issues can be fixed, eventually and at a cost of many thousands. 

So to add to your ire about housebuilders I would add much frustration about cowboy builders, window companies etc.

Agreed, especially about the cavity wall insulation. That is just a timebomb there. The houses were built with a cavity for a reason, and now they are unable to breath properly, with all the associated issues with indoor air quality and dampness. 

My brother is out in Verona at the moment staying with his inlaws in their newly constructed (self built, albeit, self administered - they didn't build it themselves) house. He's waxing lyrical about how amazing it is with a 40 square metre living room amongst other things. I'm trying to impress on him that it's not anything out of the ordinary in other countries. The average new build in England is just 71.0 square metres (last time I checked, it was 87 square metres). It's 137 square metres in Denmark.

I do wonder if our utterly inadequate housing has contributed to our very high covid 19 infection and death rate? It's very hard to stay sane isolating in such small confines, contributing to a higher rate of lockdown breaching? Speculation really, but it's interesting maybe.

• Like 5

Blistering sunshine here, 32 degrees i was told earlier! I’ve cracked a can of cloudy apple cider open on the strength of it. Gona sit out for a bit and think about which a/c system would work best for me in my poorly built bungalow ?‍♂️[emoji16]

• Like 1

Well last night and this morning here in Aberdeenshire is probably the most spectacular display of lightning I’ve ever seen in the UK. Phones are out are out as one of the telegraph poles was struck. 
Unfortunately it looks like the weather has played its part in the tragic train incident near Stonehaven. 

702E0183-25B0-4AFA-9E48-1C710D507C6F.jpeg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Paul Cleaver said:

Is anyone here mad enough to climb in this weather?

There was a team reducing a conifer hedge in one for the houses behind mine right up to midday, well over 34 in the shade and they had no shade. Hats off to them.

By 16:00 it was raining quite heavily with thunder and 4 miles away a mini tornado ripped across the canal downing trees either side of my mate in his mooring right across the navigation.

6 hours ago, openspaceman said:

There was a team reducing a conifer hedge in one for the houses behind mine right up to midday, well over 34 in the shade and they had no shade. Hats off to them.

By 16:00 it was raining quite heavily with thunder and 4 miles away a mini tornado ripped across the canal downing trees either side of my mate in his mooring right across the navigation.

A facebook friend had a mini tornado in Gloucestershire