Best Chainsaw Sharpener

Tomatin Firewood

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That attachment looks good - but I reckon the diamond stones we do are better and you get more than a few sharpens (I know you should do at that price) and they are longer - most folk with the precision grinder are now using them.

You searched for diamond - Chainsawbars

Most folk? I doubt it at that price, the ones I use are £4.51 for 5 off ebay and they last forever

Dremel 1453 Chainsaw Sharpening Attachment with 4 Grinding Stones, Guage & Guide | eBay

There you go, the diamond rotary files are much better as they don't lose their diameter through use but you'll get a fair few sharpens with the stones, cheers.

Thats the one!! Diamond stones I use are £4.51 for 5 on ebay and last forever!!!

Yep, I got a link to these from a thread on here not that long ago, previously I could only get the much shorter ones that Rob's talking about, having said that they don't go in the Granberg as that requires bits that thread in as opposed to being held by collets.

The Granberg sharpener is a great tool and gets milling chains bang on and although I've used it freehand many times to quickly touch a normal chain, the dremel at 33,000 rpm is much faster and sits nicer in the hand. When I googled the Granberg just now I got 2 results for rpm 14,000 and 24,000, I don't have it with me at the moment but I'll need to put a tacho on it at some point just out a curiosity. Cheers.

Hi I was wondering what is best chainsaw sharpener out there?

I have my 14"-18" bars for my stihl saw and firewood processor with Oregon bar. Need to sharpen on a daily basis.

To date have been filing manually, which is quite time consuming. I recently bought a PROFESSIONAL ELECTRIC CHAINSAW SHARPENER AUTO ADVANCE from ebay which is a load of rubbish, really cheap and nasty and does not do a good job.

I was wondering if anyone with more experience has any good suggestions?

Also what is best file gauge? I have a Stihl gauge but was wondering if there are any better ones?

Finally seen these Powersharp accessories. Does anyone rate these and does they also file down leaders as well as cutters, or does leader have to be filed manually?

I always sharpen by hand check out the husky guides they're pretty cool. I also have an oregon sure sharp but the only time I use it is if I hit some thing in the tree I find for every day use it eats chains for breakfast they dont last long at all and i can get them much sharper by hand plus you are spending longer looking at the chain you are more likely to spot any damage which could be potentially dangerous