The Ultimate Arbtruck !

ACPrice(Eng)Ltd

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does look the nuts, and I would love one! However I really can't see what that set up can do that a 3.5 tonne tipper, large road tow chipper, tracked chipper and Landy/other 4x4 and tipping trailer couldn't, for similar money, with masses more useability in just about every treework scenario I've encountered. (I would still love one though!!!)

It does look the nuts, and I would love one! However I really can't see what that set up can do that a 3.5 tonne tipper, large road tow chipper, tracked chipper and Landy/other 4x4 and tipping trailer couldn't, for similar money, with masses more useability in just about every treework scenario I've encountered. (I would still love one though!!!)

:confused1: This will legally carry 3 tonnes, most 3.5 tonners will struggle to carry 1 tonne.

Its also have the ability to power a vast number of different PTO equipment.

:confused1: This will legally carry 3 tonnes, most 3.5 tonners will struggle to carry 1 tonne.

Its also have the ability to power a vast number of different PTO equipment.

It's not often that you need to carry 3 tonnes day to day IMO, and if you do you simply take the 2 vehicles and trailer (unfortunately on those particular days you can't send a second team out to earn money elsewhere which they could be doing otherwise).

Granted it has a PTO but in our industry that's only really useful for a chipper, and if your chipper can only be used when attached to the mog then it isn't as useful as one that can be tracked into back gardens/down footpaths/along field headlands etc.

If large scale chipping is required then a 3 tonne payload is pretty pathetic in real terms. You'd be better off with a bulk trailer. That role could just as easily be performed by a much cheaper tractor.

The high bodies on mogs mean that loading timber by hand is also much harder than it needs to be, so a crane (ie more money) becomes a necessity.

I really like the idea, but I can't see how it can be justified (if money was no object I would obviously have one though!).

It's not often that you need to carry 3 tonnes day to day IMO, and if you do you simply take the 2 vehicles and trailer (unfortunately on those particular days you can't send a second team out to earn money elsewhere which they could be doing otherwise).

Granted it has a PTO but in our industry that's only really useful for a chipper, and if your chipper can only be used when attached to the mog then it isn't as useful as one that can be tracked into back gardens/down footpaths/along field headlands etc.

If large scale chipping is required then a 3 tonne payload is pretty pathetic in real terms. You'd be better off with a bulk trailer. That role could just as easily be performed by a much cheaper tractor.

The high bodies on mogs mean that loading timber by hand is also much harder than it needs to be, so a crane (ie more money) becomes a necessity.

I really like the idea, but I can't see how it can be justified (if money was no object I would obviously have one though!).

Really????:confused1:

You only think PTO's are of use for chippers in our industry??

With my mog's PTO I run or have run, my 14M crane, a large winch, log splitters, fire wood processors, saw bench's, large fuel grade chipper, walking floor chip trailer, etc,etc.

If you been to carry more chip you can put the chipper on the front and tow a chip trailer and because of the hydraulics that trailer can tip :thumbup1:

As for not needing 3 tonne chip capacity day to day, I guess I must be working to hard as most day we could not manage (legally) with 3.5 tonne pickup.

Cheap tractors are great,so long as your happy to set 3 hours before you want to start work and get home after your family have all gone to bed:001_rolleyes:

With my mog's PTO I run or have run, my 14M crane, a large winch, log splitters, fire wood processors, saw bench's, large fuel grade chipper, walking floor chip trailer, etc,etc.

:

yeh, if i was spending 100k on a mog i would want to make the most out of it, not just chipping.

I think running a log splitter/processor/saw bench off a £100k investment is a bit of a waste tbh - you'd be better with a £1000 yard tractor for that. All the other bits and pieces you mention wouldn't get used by the majority or arbs on a regular basis (except perhaps for the crane, but that is very much access dependant and therefore suffers the same limitations as the mog mounted chipper). Large fuel grade chippers really need a bit more power than a mog can muster to be of any real commercial use.

It is cheaper to hire in an agricultural tractor with a 50k box as and when necessary IMO. The mog is great, and if money was no object and return on investment didn't matter then I would have one, but it is still only one vehicle, and as a result represents a massive investment that is ok at a lot of things but not really excellent at any of them.

I can't see many owner operators forking out for one of these machines, they will be supplied almost exclusively to end users who won't really have to justify the expense in commercial terms (local authority etc). The major downside to this machine is that is is just 1 machine for the money, so can only support 1 team. If the hype was true then every arb firm would run them as they would be unable to compete without.

It does look kool though!!!

No, they've never really excited me enough to bite the bullet. I've only seen/heard horror stories from colleagues that have run them, but to be fair they've never run new ones. I'm sure it's the same as any machine in that there are good and bad (largely as a result of poor maintenance I'm sure) ones out there, but everyone I know that has had one hasn't kept it.

My comments relate to the new machine talked about in this thread - I feel it is prohibitively expensive to run one of these machines and make money from it (mostly from an initial investment/depreciation point of view). There will obviously be jobs that it would get through more quickly than the standard tipper and chipper combo, but for the money I would personally run 2 teams (even if one of them was in a 'classic' mog for arguments sake) out of a couple of vehicles for the same investment, and hire in big kit if necessary.

I'm not getting into the whole mogs are ace/mogs are crap argument - if you can set one up well for less than 40k then I can see their place if well maintained. I just personally couldn't see how I could make that particular £100k investment pay for itself, but that's not to say nobody can. The proof will be in the pudding I suppose - let's see who buys them.