help my saws dont work

offgridchris

Aspen only works well with new saws as the diaphrams harden up with thier fuel. It will be a case as Rob said of repairing the carbs. My ms200 did this, i just stuck it straight back on normal fuel and used the aspen for assisting my bonfire!!!! lol

Obviously you had problems but I have used it on 20+ year old saws and found Aspen very good.

A farmer friend has a small stihl for firewood, he gets it serviced when it stops! it never runs at full revs and dont tick over but he is happy as it cuts his wood:confused1: I cant seem him ever paying for Aspen and his fuel stands in a can from one year to the next until it is all used up, then he buys more. This must be typical for the older generation of chain saw users, there was a time fule would last more than a month:sneaky2: but times have changed.

One day I will fill his saw with Aspen just to give it a clean and show him how it dont send out clouds of blue smoke:thumbup1:

I always use Aspen now, saws run trouble free and clean but I have always maintained them myself and as a matter of routine, removed a carb & gave it a clean. It saved so much down time when working and can be done in half hour on a wet night when there's nothing on telly.

Maintain your tools regular and they wont let you down, using Aspen makes this so much easier but should be made much cheaper so more people would use it.

It's a bit like all things green, over priced not developed and made easily available or subsidised to help everyone. It just ticks over in the background when the evil giants of the petroleum world rob us all blind.

ps; if you can afford to burn it on your bone fire please give it to me :thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see a few more positive posts on Aspen.

I convert all the 2 strokes that I service to Aspen and it is rare to get problems. Had an 025 through this week that would not run after service.

It turned out to be due to a very small hole in the fuel pick up tube, which was perished, but only slightly holed. This saw ran on petrol, but not on Aspen. Replaced the tube and now it runs happily on either fuel, with same carb settings.

So, why would it not run on Aspen?

I believe that the pump petrol is the main culprit in causing fuel lines to disintegrate, due to the solvents present, but I think these same solvents also keep the rubber a bit 'sticky'

So a fuel line in the early stages of failure is kept glue together by petrol, but when used on Aspen, without solvents, the rubber tends to dry up and therefore leak a little.

But , the hose needed changing anyway, and if used on aspen from now on it will not deteriorate like it would under petrol.

With regards to price, its not just higher production costs but costs relating to packaging, transportation, warehousing, more transportation and retailing that add the price up. Everyone who handles it makes a bit on it, hence the price.

Aspen is good but have had saws ms200's that have failed within one tank and required new carbs , Interestingly stihl said they would not give me a warranty on new products if ran of aspen...

Sadly, MS200,s have been prone to carb trouble even when run on pump petrol, and I think sometimes these are blamed on aspen unfairly, as, just like the fuel pipe I mentioned, the diaphragms may have already deteriorated with pump fuel prior to Aspen.

Many dealers just put a new carb on these saws without attempting to repair, when sometimes only diaphragms are needed.

Aspen have on record a letter from Stihl endorsing the use of Aspen and saying that warranty will not be affected, so I wonder if your refusal came from Stihl, or from the dealer without consulting Stihl. I also find the warranty issue confusing, as Stihl recomend the use of their own Moto Mix alkylate fuel rather than petrol and do fully warranty it. As far as I can tell, Aspen and Moto-mix are very similar products.

This issue has bothered me for a while so I will try to speak to Stihl myself this week and verify the warranty situation.

Aspen is good but have had saws ms200's that have failed within one tank and required new carbs , Interestingly stihl said they would not give me a warranty on new products if ran of aspen...

I spoke to Stihl today about this warranty issue. The person I spoke to said there is absolutely no way they will invalidate warranty on saws used with Aspen.

He said that actually it solves a lot of warranty issues as there is no chance of the mix being wrong.

I had a warranty passed by Husqvarna recently for a scored piston and cylinder on a 2 yr old saw(domestic) just because it had been run on Aspen, and therefore the damage could not have been caused by lack of oil.

All good news.