help my saws dont work

offgridchris

Ms200 x2, a new 260 + 361 and the hs80 all ran like a bag of it on aspen, only my brand new 880 ran well on it. Normal pump fuel works very well, for the cost of aspen and the changes you have to make to your saws it's a no brainer for most. Pump fuel works absolutely fine, there have not been any inconstancies to my knowledge since the first time I picked up a saw! Maybe in the long run, but that's a long long run!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms200 x2, a new 260 + 361 and the hs80 all ran like a bag of it on aspen, only my brand new 880 ran well on it. Normal pump fuel works very well, for the cost of aspen and the changes you have to make to your saws it's a no brainer for most. Pump fuel works absolutely fine, there have not been any inconstancies to my knowledge since the first time I picked up a saw! Maybe in the long run, but that's a long long run!

:congrats:

The variable nature of pump petrol has shown itself to me many times over the years, well before I had any expierience of Aspen.

On many occasions I have serviced and tuned a 2t machine to run perfectly on my workshop supply of 50:1, only to have it brought back by the customer as it would not run properly after refilling with his own fuel. Before retuning I drain the customers fuel and replenish with my own, it usually then runs perfectly. If the customer insists on using his mix, then we will refill with his and retune accordingly. This proves to me the variable nature of pump petrol, wether it be due to age, brand or mix ratio.

Pump petrol should always be used within 30 days, as it ages and becomes less volatile it will effectively lower the fuel to air ratio resulting in a weaker mixture which can result in lean siezure. Oil seperation can also occur

Hence my opinion that it is inconsistant and therefore a variable factor. Aspen is chemicaly stable and therfore a constant.

But I agree, that with careful fuel management there is very little problem with pump petrol.

As regards the other benefits of Aspen, such as the health issues, well thats a debate for another day as I am off to bed.

I agree for sure, longevity of aspen is a plus point, I too have fixed a few clients saws and it 90 percent of the time it's due to old fuel in the system as its been stored for too long or mixed inconsistently.

Its a shame your saws have been problematic, at least the 880 is OK. I also sense that you are not totally anti Aspen. Maybe its worth another try.

Its also worth remembering that Aspen is recommended for use by Huskie and that Stihl recomend their own version, Moto-Mix.

Do aspen publicise these problems anywhere, If I could find a dependable supply I would have been pretty peed off to find all my saws dropping like flies mid job with lads on wages and a punter looking on.

If I change to aspen looks like a new fleet of saws or at least a major overhaul for all of them, am I right in thinking that if I ran out of aspen I couldn’t just chuck a gallon of unleaded through to get the job finished?

The problem appears to be one of unpredictability. Some people seem to have to do significant overhaul work to get their saws to run while others do absolutely nothing and have no problems. So far, luckily (for me) I have been in the latter category, with saws up to about 30yrs old. I even run the Allen Scythe on it, which is about as far from standard as it gets. Once I'd burned out the Castrol XL it even stopped smoking! No adjustments, although I don't tach tune, but they're not running noticeably differently at top revs - Spudulike has checked some of them and they're about where I want them. No problems at idle either.

It would be good if a picture emerged as to when people do and do not have problems, as that may make it easier for dealers to make recommendations.

Alec

The problem appears to be one of unpredictability. Some people seem to have to do significant overhaul work to get their saws to run while others do absolutely nothing and have no problems. So far, luckily (for me) I have been in the latter category, with saws up to about 30yrs old. I even run the Allen Scythe on it, which is about as far from standard as it gets. Once I'd burned out the Castrol XL it even stopped smoking! No adjustments, although I don't tach tune, but they're not running noticeably differently at top revs - Spudulike has checked some of them and they're about where I want them. No problems at idle either.

It would be good if a picture emerged as to when people do and do not have problems, as that may make it easier for dealers to make recommendations.

Alec

This issue is of great concern to me as I am fully commited to Aspen. As previously stated, most of my conversions have gone perfectly, but the few that have caused problems have had blocked carb gauze filters. They have been blocked with a creamy gunk.

This is obviously not from the Aspen, so where does it come from?

I am wondering if this is seperated oil from a the previous pump petrol, especially if that mix was old (domestic equipment)

As the Aspen has no solvents it may be unable to dissolve this, and just washes it into the filter.

If this is the case then it may be best to ensure that an amount of perfectly fresh pump fuel is used prior to Aspen to dissolve any stale residue.

As I say, this is just a theory, any others will be welcome.

I had an old A65 which I started the business with and tried Aspen direct from Norway in this with much smoke and coughing then with some carb fiddling runs nice now and piston is clean.

The 242 XPG's had been run from new on Aspen with the single issue being weeping from the fuel cap seals which I am sure is down to Husqvarna as it depends on the colour of the seals.

395XPG used for large trees and milling on a logosol has run from new on this without problems although now using a different green 2 stroke fuel source.

240R Brushcutter ran from new on the Aspen and with basic servicing still runs fine having done huge hours of constant work.

I have read the mixture specs was changed as the colour also so no idea if this could be causing problems on some saws. I know Aspen keeps for a long time but would be interested to know how long it is stored at the main warehouse before being forwarded to the distribution people.

When mixing normal petrol and oils there are considerable differences which do cause running issues. I service all the saws with hearing/running first and then check with the rev counter to make sure.:thumbup1:

Someone mentioned motomix is that a real green fuel like Aspen?

I had an old A65 which I started the business with and tried Aspen direct from Norway in this with much smoke and coughing then with some carb fiddling runs nice now and piston is clean.

The 242 XPG's had been run from new on Aspen with the single issue being weeping from the fuel cap seals which I am sure is down to Husqvarna as it depends on the colour of the seals.

395XPG used for large trees and milling on a logosol has run from new on this without problems although now using a different green 2 stroke fuel source.

240R Brushcutter ran from new on the Aspen and with basic servicing still runs fine having done huge hours of constant work.

I have read the mixture specs was changed as the colour also so no idea if this could be causing problems on some saws. I know Aspen keeps for a long time but would be interested to know how long it is stored at the main warehouse before being forwarded to the distribution people.

When mixing normal petrol and oils there are considerable differences which do cause running issues. I service all the saws with hearing/running first and then check with the rev counter to make sure.:thumbup1:

Someone mentioned motomix is that a real green fuel like Aspen?

I,m glad to see a positive response , it just shows that Aspen really is not a problem, but an asset.

With regards to Motomix, I downloaded the spec sheets and compared them to Aspen. I am not a chemist, and as usual the spec sheets follow a different format, but as far as I can see the products are similar, with Aspen being possible slightly purer than Motomix.

I am happy to be corrected if I have read it wrongly.

Edited by GardenKit