Cleaning glass on Hunter Herald 8

Sounds to me like you are burning wet wood ? I am burning a good mixture of dry stuff at moment . But when I first kick the stove off next morning , I put a couple of bits if dry willow in . Dont last long but burns hot and cleans all the rubbish off .

Once a month j let it go out and then use a stovax gel glass cleaner . Had the tub for over 4yrs now and still got over half a bottle . It can be left on for 5 mins , then use a kitchen wet wipe . Followed by some newspaper to dry it off . Nice clean glass :)

Mark

Hope you don't mind me asking and sorry for derailing but do you know why my stove only has one air control at the bottom ?

it's a handol 51l and I think it's designed to burn just wood .

I was not familiar with the stove but have now had a look on Google, nice stove, looks like a dedicated wood burner in which case you only have a control which on a multi fuel stove is known as the secondary air control, ie an air curtain only. If that is getting dirty glass then I would be surprised, if it is then talk to the manufacturer or dealer/installer that you bought it through.

Morso Squirrell, a pic would enable me to id the model but Morso dont chop and change models from one decade to the next. Assuming you have only one wheel on the lower door ( primary air) you also have a lever underneath the ash lip that moves left to right that controls the secondary air inlet then you have a 1430. 1410 and 1412 models both have 2 wheels, one at the top and one at the bottom. If none of that stack up and you are having issues with black glass pm me your phone number and I will give you a bell to discuss. It may be a very old model that did not have an air sweep, Morso stoves if looked after will last 40 years plus.

A

Sounds to me like you are burning wet wood ? I am burning a good mixture of dry stuff at moment . But when I first kick the stove off next morning , I put a couple of bits if dry willow in . Dont last long but burns hot and cleans all the rubbish off .

Once a month j let it go out and then use a stovax gel glass cleaner . Had the tub for over 4yrs now and still got over half a bottle . It can be left on for 5 mins , then use a kitchen wet wipe . Followed by some newspaper to dry it off . Nice clean glass :)

Mark

Stovax glass cleaner has been found on test at Morso to damage some of the black coloured glass coatings on their very new model stoves. Be careful where and how you use it.

A

I'll vouch for the damp newspaper dipped in some ash from the burner. The ash acts like a mild abrasive and there is something in the newspaper ink that brings a nice polish.

HI SWC thats what i was told by a stove fitters thanks jon or run the stove hotter jon ps theres no air wash on the herald 8 jon

Hope you don't mind me asking and sorry for derailing but do you know why my stove only has one air control at the bottom ?

it's a handol 51l and I think it's designed to burn just wood .

Probably because that's all you need. Fire doesn't care where air comes from as long as it has enough. I would guess that the myth about wood burning from above, or needing air from above has come about from people shutting down the lower inlet to slow the burn down. Most of the air would then be coming from above so the wood would burn more strongly on top thereby giving the impression that wood burn better with, or needs, air from above. In addition, people would notice that coal doesn't burn well if the bottom vent is shut which would serve to reinforce the idea. The reality is that coal doesn't burn well with air from above simply because there isn't enough of it, whereas the wood being much less dense requires less air per unit surface area and can still give a reasonable fire without air from below.

Blackened glass is caused by the products of incomplete combustion sticking to the glass - the cure is to give the fuel sufficient air to burn properly. Given that the heat from combustion causes the exhaust gases to convect upwards the logical place to supply air is from below. We burn only wood and only use air from below - the stove burns beautifully, we never have black glass and the house is lovely and warm.

I was not familiar with the stove but have now had a look on Google, nice stove, looks like a dedicated wood burner in which case you only have a control which on a multi fuel stove is known as the secondary air control, ie an air curtain only. If that is getting dirty glass then I would be surprised, if it is then talk to the manufacturer or dealer/installer that you bought it through.

Morso Squirrell, a pic would enable me to id the model but Morso dont chop and change models from one decade to the next. Assuming you have only one wheel on the lower door ( primary air) you also have a lever underneath the ash lip that moves left to right that controls the secondary air inlet then you have a 1430. 1410 and 1412 models both have 2 wheels, one at the top and one at the bottom. If none of that stack up and you are having issues with black glass pm me your phone number and I will give you a bell to discuss. It may be a very old model that did not have an air sweep, Morso stoves if looked after will last 40 years plus.

A

Thanks Alycidon, mine's a 1430. I've just found the instruction book for it and it seems I've been doing it wrong :001_rolleyes:. I've been controlling the speed of burn with the primary air rather than the secondary lever. When I light it tonight I'll do it by the book (apart from the bit about using 1.5 kg of kindling!).

We had a Clearview stove which double burns and not much of a problem, I used vinegar which is very good. I agree with someone on here re stacking the ends to the side, it helps, as does dry wood, with a 20% moisture content or less.

Depending on your chimney a good burn up from time to time helps, but be carefull, especially if you have old brickwork up there.