cartman

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody can help me out ?

i'm doing some research for an assignment and i have to find a bit out about different drainage systems used when planting on wet / poor drainage soils

I have found out the main ones i need but cannot find anything about them :confused1: i.e how they work and how they are set out

the ones i have found are:

Fan Drain

Grid System

herring bone

any help would be appreciated

Thanks In advance

:thumbup:

How much do you know about them already?

The names are fairly descriptive...

A fan drain system is multiple drains running to a single discharge point, better for small areas.

Herringbone is a central main line with collecting drains running into it from both sides, like a fish bone.

A grid system is as it sounds but will likely have multiple discharge points to allow for irregular fall over an area.

Use of each depends on the fall and shape of the area to be drained.

Generally for land drainage construction of each is of a 'french drain' type thing, a channel filled with gravel with a ribbed perforated pipe set near the bottom of it.

To improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the drainage system, it is a good idea to deep mole drain the entire area during a prolonged dry spell prior to laying the drains to open up the soil structure...

How much do you know about them already?

The names are fairly descriptive...

A fan drain system is multiple drains running to a single discharge point, better for small areas.

Herringbone is a central main line with collecting drains running into it from both sides, like a fish bone.

A grid system is as it sounds but will likely have multiple discharge points to allow for irregular fall over an area.

Use of each depends on the fall and shape of the area to be drained.

Generally for land drainage construction of each is of a 'french drain' type thing, a channel filled with gravel with a ribbed perforated pipe set near the bottom of it.

To improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the drainage system, it is a good idea to deep mole drain the entire area during a prolonged dry spell prior to laying the drains to open up the soil structure...

Hi Thanks for a quick response it is appreciated.

in answer to your question all that i could find out was about the grid system, and how that works and the type of land it would be used on.

but as for the rest i couldn't find anything all i could find was for highways drainage and footpaths etc.

what you have described is a brilliant explanation of the systems and it as helped me out no end. :thumbup:

As i said before it is appreciated

Many thanks