Is chipper dust something we should be worried about.

David Humphries

I saw ( forgive the pun) a programe about the olden day carpenters and woods men with the old long two-man saw and pit, awhile ago, it mentioned the wood chip dust as being most deadly….the reasoning behind this is that the dust will not be dissolved by the bodies defenses and so builds up in the lungs and becomes an aggressor within the body ---within time ............End_Ex

The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upwards in the night

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread, but I do feel I have a valid point to make here. I worked in coalmining many years ago, & they always said that the dust you actually see is not the dust that harms you the most. It is the finest dust particles that do the damage. I would reckon on that being true of wood dust also. ALL wood dust is potentially harmful, some, as has been said is carcenogenic while certain ones are halucenogenic, as in make you go wappy.

(Explains a lot in my case.:scared1::001_tongue:)

Don't ask which ones cos I can't remember & I don't want you lot going around sniffing timber products.:001_smile:

I go on a woodworking site & one experienced turner on there has to strip off & dive straight into the shower to avoid a bad allergic reaction to certain dust/spores. It was said that yew is a baddie, certainly is. Sometimes I have to leave the workshop when my wife, ( herself a woodturner) is sanding down her turnings as my nose & eyes start streaming & the sneazing starts.

Just my two p's worth. hope it helps you to think about your lungs a bit more. Cheers people.:001_smile:

If Im correct it was only a few years ago that wagons transporting sawdust were made to use contained units . Make of this what you will . When we are chipping dead limbs we use the dust masks. Mind you after many years on a saw I think whats done is done . I did have a severe Lung infection some years ago and the doctor ask of my employment. When I told him Tree work he just rolled his eyes and said this was a major contributing factor .:scared1:

If Im correct it was only a few years ago that wagons transporting sawdust were made to use contained units . Make of this what you will . When we are chipping dead limbs we use the dust masks. Mind you after many years on a saw I think whats done is done . I did have a severe Lung infection some years ago and the doctor ask of my employment. When I told him Tree work he just rolled his eyes and said this was a major contributing factor .:scared1:

How dare he roll his eyes at you.:001_tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

I started using a mask to reduce the particulate matter in the air when cutting anything. I have also been more inclined to use my silky saws while pruning, unless totally necessary demands for power saws. I think we should all be more aware of how precious our lungs/eyes/nasals are, and consider the use of resperators, etc as personal protective equipment. Why take a chance, especially after being made aware of the inherent dangers?

-ACUF

I've been wondering today whilst chipping quite a lot of willow. If there is a high content of salicylic acid (aspirin starting product) in willow, would it be injested or inhaled and have any effect. ie. No headache. A hard one to test I know but was just a thought. Could be handy for keeping heart disease away.

I've been wondering today whilst chipping quite a lot of willow. If there is a high content of salicylic acid (aspirin starting product) in willow, would it be injested or inhaled and have any effect. ie. No headache. A hard one to test I know but was just a thought. Could be handy for keeping heart disease away.

I would say that it wouldn't matter, because your lungs would still take the fall in breathing the particulate matter.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...