Is chipper dust something we should be worried about.

David Humphries

I guess i dont use saw benches much. I do quite a bit of elm removals from the hedgerows of essex and the dust from chipping big lumps of elm is nuts. Sometimes we lose contact with the chipper in the brown cloud. Personally i run away swearing.

never heard that about ash before.

yeah its true alright.green ash fine,dry ash nasty,with a bench like i use (mcconnell pto,still the best lol) if you dont keep the underneath clear it whips up in your face all day,you also know if your woods dry or not because any moisture will spray in your face from the cut

I used to use a Jappa firewood harvester, for long periods of time (seemed like years in siberia) and the dust would kick up in the wind and make me quite cross. I used profanity. Not much seasoned ash just loads of hornbeam and birch. Our lives are full of sawdust, it gets into everything. Thats what back pack blowers are for, straight after a long chog to the ground.

Reminds me i got to get me some dust masks, although i really do hate wearing them.

It all comes down to exposure surely? I'm trying to think of the number of times i've been exposed to high levels of fine dust for extended periods of time in the last few months,,, not to many so i'm not overly worried.

I don't need a R/A to know that dust is bad or to spot it in the workplace, common sense and concern for yourself and well being should prevail.

we use to use masks if a plane needed pruning or emergencies but if possible we would leave then till winter even then the whole gang all sounded like they had a bad case of tb some worse than others, one of the lads use to refuse to touch them i didnt blame him though he'd though up for half hour after one

we use to use masks if a plane needed pruning or emergencies but if possible we would leave then till winter even then the whole gang all sounded like they had a bad case of tb some worse than others, one of the lads use to refuse to touch them i didnt blame him though he'd though up for half hour after one

He would never go for a job in London of course as most large street trees are the accursed things. Nice to climb an all, but it's like being CS gassed when you work on them. Even in winter those balls are nasty.

My Dad is a joiner, and he developed an allergy to saw dust. He now has to use a dust mask when every he is machining timber.

What worries me more is that in the sixty's he cut up thousands of sheets of asbestos on a circler saw with no mask :scared1: