Is chipper dust something we should be worried about.

David Humphries

Been following this thread with a little interest.

I never have any issue with chipper dust from a respiratory point of view.

Planes made me a bit snotty when climbing around in them but that's it.

Not saying it's not bad for you of course, just adding my experiences.

Ive now just recovered from my third lung infection ... ?

Its a fact that after my Xray my results showed more scarring on my left lung which has been aggravated ? By what ...... I ask ... the consultant .

Tree work maybe .... No no no he says ? Bollocks :sneaky2:

Over twenty years on the saw has taught me that chainsaw dust is bad . Most of us in the industry know this .... Although many operatives neglect or don,t take into account the fumes from the saw .... which are quite potent ..

just saying :001_smile:

We had two Oaks to deal with a few weeks ago . One which had a lot of dead growth and had caught fire and the second Oak had the top 25 foot dead. James did the the fire damaged one and I did the other. We both were throwing up while up the tree after chocking on the dust. Weeks later and we still ain't right. Headaches, pain in the arms, throat really saw and feel absolutely knackered all the time

Yes ivy is bad, and I believe all dead wood is full of nasty stuff.

Generally wear a P3 mask when cutting and the dust is flying, but the other day I took over the chipper for couple of hours when clearing some half dead conifers, and somehow we were out of masks.

Upon waking the next morning, I was not surprisingly coughing up all kinds of gunge.

Why do you dispute what the consultant says?

They arent always right. Thats why you get a second opinion sometimes.

I was told inaccurate info for decades by consultants included one labelled a professor!

But yes they should know what their subject matter is and are mostly right.

Unfortunately sometimes science and higher learning leads to arrogance, which gets in the way of progress.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never have issues with my chest, but my sinuses do give me a bit of jip. I find sniffing water up my nose in the shower and the blowing it out really helps. Sorry I know its a bit gross, but I do find its very helpful.

• Haha 1

I never have issues with my chest, but my sinuses do give me a bit of jip. I find sniffing water up my nose in the shower and the blowing it out really helps. Sorry I know its a bit gross, but I do find its very helpful.

Try that sniff a bit of string up your nostril and spit it out your mouth trick, then pull on both ends.

Let us know how it goes.

Saw and oil fumes. Along with diesel exhaust, wood dust and moulds, spores etc can't be good wholesale day in day out. Must be better than the days of the under dog in the old sawmill.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...