Varieties, Forms and Cultivars

David Humphries

Looks like it was planting too shallow, an old school gardener I used to work with always planted roses and other grafts like the one in your picture deep enough for them to start establishing roots directly from the scion.

The exception being fruit trees on dwarfing rootstocks, of course.

Lets post what you've seen.

Saw this yesterday travelling between jobs. Cultivar 'Frisia' and parent Robinia psuedoacacia.

Looks to me as if the rootstock has overtaken the cultivar.

Unsure as to why, unknown history.

Just out of interest, what would you do with that? Prune out one or the other or just leave it be?

If you ask me (which I know your not :001_smile:) then I'd check to see how much the stems are forcing each other apart. If it looked like a prob then I'd remove the smaller one, othererwise it will probably split and end up in the road.

A nice unusual tree though, pity it's so close to the footpath and road.

Or I suppose it could be braced.

Lets post what you've seen.

Saw this yesterday travelling between jobs. Cultivar 'Frisia' and parent Robinia psuedoacacia.

Looks to me as if the rootstock has overtaken the cultivar.

Unsure as to why, unknown history.

Poor graft, I reckon. It's surprising how feeble the 'sport' in in relation to the as species grafting stock. Maybe feebleness is part of it's genetic package. Thinking of it, the golden ones often look a bit less ambitious than the green ones.

Interesting pics-cheers.

I'm no expert, I have grafted a little fruit but no more, but to me it seems as if the rootstock was never stopped. The basic grafting I have done involves minimising the amount of rootstock beyond the graft, so that the scion grows over and around the rootstock.

In this pic, what appears to be the rootstock has very good, straight, form, it doesn't look like re-growth from a side bud.

That raises the question why wasn't it stopped?

Alternatively I wonder is it definitely grafted - not a natural graft arising from two trees being planted too close together? Hard to tell with my eyesight though. :001_smile: