Africa expedition

Dak

Right folks,

Balls rolling on this one..

I'm heading back to my place of origin south africa 12months to the day almost for a wedding/holiday!

I'm going to South Africa, Botswana and possibly Namibia and Mozambique.

I'm hoping to spend two weeks or so climbing champion trees of southern africa.

It wont be your fancy lodge african expedition it'll be hennessey hammocks and proper wild camping..

Would anyone be interested in joining me or offer any advice on planning a trip like this?.

I'm going to try get in touch with millenuim seed bank and south african dept/agencies to see if I can make this more than just a good time climbing trees in the bush! Does anyone know any contacts that could possibly help me out?

Many thanks guys:001_smile:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys biggest expense would be your plane tickets, beer and possibly camping fees as some areas wild camping strictly illegal due to the number of tourists shot by anti poaching patrols roaming the bush at night but hoping to be able to radio into police/national parks to give co ordinates etc, Ive got friends for digs in Joburg, cape town etc and on the border of kruger national park for anyone into seeing the big 5.(lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, buffalo).

Hama,

I have an epic photo for you its on the ladies pc at the mo but will post up in fungi forum asap!

Drew,

Ive been meaning to get in touch but wanted to get slightly more concrete info for you.

I have been led to believe that theres possibly some 85m+ eucs in a gorge that has never been officially accessed as apparently rope access needed for 90% of the descent into the gorge, hence why they've lasted.....

Think your experience with marum would be priceless. Would you and the CET boys be interested in an african trip then? Oh and any of them fancy them selves as surfers? borrow a RIB and get them out on dungeons ( youtube it).:001_tt2:

Sounds good but I've too many commitments and Im off to west Africa in February 2012 to do some work.

Good luck with your trip though. If you need a tip mine would be take an extra rope and harness if you have room. It can draw lots of interest when people watch you climb and everyone might want a go.

What you got on bro? Where abouts in WA?

Must admit i've spent months at a time driving around, still only managed southern africa.

West africa may aswell be another world.

Good tip on the spare kit, a mates so excited because he lives "so close" to one of the trees, 4 hours drive!!! In african terms that's just the paper shop trip for some people!! So he'll want to climb!

Working on an idea I have had for a while. Hopefully this trip will turn it from a concept to a project.

Driving around Africa is a real adventure. I drove from Gambia across the cassamance region of Senegal and onto guinea Bissau, all in search of waves and a spot for this project. Circumsising festivals, constant military cheque points when your driving a car with no brakes and crashing the car into the statue in the middle of the biggest town in the rebel home lands at 10pm on a Saturday night. Good times.

Working on an idea I have had for a while. Hopefully this trip will turn it from a concept to a project.

Driving around Africa is a real adventure. I drove from Gambia across the cassamance region of Senegal and onto guinea Bissau, all in search of waves and a spot for this project. Circumsising festivals, constant military cheque points when your driving a car with no brakes and crashing the car into the statue in the middle of the biggest town in the rebel home lands at 10pm on a Saturday night. Good times.

Lol That sounds like an interesting trip :thumbup1: