Updating NPTC certs from 90's, refresh or retrain

tagnut69

i do agree with proper training, but why should you have to do refresher, oh yes to make the nptc more money, just for a replacement cert' the robbing gits want, £37 per scheme just for a sodding piece of paper, if your ticket is still valid, which it is ignore what the nptc say, they are a business and as we all know if you are in business you're doing it to make money .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years of occasional users, 5 years for full time pro's. no need to redo your nptc tickets as they dont expire, but for cpd and hse do a lantra ITA update/refesher course cheaper shorter and equally as valid

So is this a recommendation or a legal requirement?

i do agree with proper training, but why should you have to do refresher, oh yes to make the nptc more money, just for a replacement cert' the robbing gits want, £37 per scheme just for a sodding piece of paper, if your ticket is still valid, which it is ignore what the nptc say, they are a business and as we all know if you are in business you're doing it to make money .

Judge is totally correct on this.

Its a requirement under PUWER 1998

Minotaur and Matkeen, Do you remember what PUWER 1998 is?

If not, may I suggest a little bit of refresher training to bring you up to speed?

Kidding......

I'm just kidding! OK?

I said it tongue in cheek, Honest

:blushing:

I am another agreived at continuing costs of holding NPTC's they cost a fortune to start with now it looks like we are going to have to keep shelling out to keep them upto date!

Fair points have been made about occasional users whrere a little refresher course may be of use to someone who only uses a chainsaw every couple of years and who isnt involved in the indusrty enough to keep upto speed with best practice and new techniques, but for a professional in everyday use with constant contact with the latest news I think it is another unneeded and unwanted tax that we could all do without especially at times lioke these.

Matt

why go on refresher courses,nptc is the first step to learn the job? you need years off experience to be the master. nptc is like the first driving lesson,nobody would go back and take driving lessons again.keeps instructors in jobs making big money.the goverment off trees take take take

Refresher course was thought up by councils for occasional users which i wholly agree with

NPTC IS FOR LIFE NOT FOR CHRISTMAS

LANTRA IS FOR FIVE YEARS.

Take any ticket and you are refreshed.

PS. I was told by training provider to keep my blue book!!

why go on refresher courses,nptc is the first step to learn the job? you need years off experience to be the master. nptc is like the first driving lesson,nobody would go back and take driving lessons again.keeps instructors in jobs making big money.the goverment off trees take take take

Keep up Paddy.

PUWER 98 (Provision and use of work equipment regulations 1998) covers the use of almost ALL tools and equipment in almost ALL industries in the UK.

Its not just tree work.

It covers the "MacFlurry" machine in Macdonalds, the swivel chair behind the desk in your local library and the tools used in our industry.

PUWER 98 states (and her I paraphrase highly) that the tool for a job must be suitable, it must be used how the manufacturer intends it to be used, and it states that the user must have sufficient initial training, retraining if the tool or task is modified as necessary, and adequate retraining (which is given in the regs as being either 3 (occasional user) or 5 (regular user) years.

How many times does PUWER 98 mention NPTC (or city and guilds as they now are)?

Never.

Not once.

Zero.

Diddly squat.

Stop banging on about them.

The government doesn't give a flying rats fart about NPTC, or chainsaws or arb. Our industry is nothing whatsoever to them.

We are all an irrelevance.

below the radar.

less important than a floating duck house.

sorry to hurt your feelings as most people on here is under the impression the world if revolving around and dependant on the arb industry.

so the long and short of it is: as long as your refresher training is adiquate (and good luck defining that) any old monkey can give it.

Sod NPTC (no offence intended to NPTC).

Just hope you never need to prove what adequate is.

If you don’t like it (and you don’t have to – it’s a free world)

Move.

There is loads of countries that don’t care two hoots for regulations or "elfin safety", try one of them instead.

[typed with a frendly smile on my face and an all encompassing love for you all - I am not intending to come across as nasty :001_smile:]

Refresher course was thought up by councils for occasional users which i wholly agree with

NPTC IS FOR LIFE NOT FOR CHRISTMAS

LANTRA IS FOR FIVE YEARS.

Take any ticket and you are refreshed.

PS. I was told by training provider to keep my blue book!!

Thought up by councils?

Really?

when did they do that?

thats unusually "blue sky" for them.

In that case I have it TOTALY wrong.

sorry - Please ignore my prevous post.

(except for the loooove bit - I really ment that)

councils: well, well, well

Keep up Paddy.

PUWER 98 (Provision and use of work equipment regulations 1998) covers the use of almost ALL tools and equipment in almost ALL industries in the UK.

Its not just tree work.

It covers the "MacFlurry" machine in Macdonalds, the swivel chair behind the desk in your local library and the tools used in our industry.

PUWER 98 states (and her I paraphrase highly) that the tool for a job must be suitable, it must be used how the manufacturer intends it to be used, and it states that the user must have sufficient initial training, retraining if the tool or task is modified as necessary, and adequate retraining (which is given in the regs as being either 3 (occasional user) or 5 (regular user) years.

How many times does PUWER 98 mention NPTC (or city and guilds as they now are)?

Never.

Not once.

Zero.

Diddly squat.

Stop banging on about them.

The government doesn't give a flying rats fart about NPTC, or chainsaws or arb. Our industry is nothing whatsoever to them.

We are all an irrelevance.

below the radar.

less important than a floating duck house.

sorry to hurt your feelings as most people on here is under the impression the world if revolving around and dependant on the arb industry.

so the long and short of it is: as long as your refresher training is adiquate (and good luck defining that) any old monkey can give it.

Sod NPTC (no offence intended to NPTC).

Just hope you never need to prove what adequate is.

If you don’t like it (and you don’t have to – it’s a free world)

Move.

There is loads of countries that don’t care two hoots for regulations or "elfin safety", try one of them instead.

[typed with a frendly smile on my face and an all encompassing love for you all - I am not intending to come across as nasty :001_smile:]

think you seem a bit mixed up mate:lol:

Don't think too much about it would be my advice...

Update training is simply this:

- A recommendation in AFAG 805 - Training & Certification (at least every 5 yrs)

- Done right, can be enlightening, eye opening, interesting, refreshing - all in all an extremely positive experience for the professional treeworker

- An opportunity to brush up on old skills as well as learn new ones... its much more about taking the next step, whatever your next step will be

- A damn good way of keeping your head in the right place and keeping yourself and your workmates safe

- Most definately NOT JUST about going over the old ground

I've run update courses all over GB where the combined experience is in excess of 140yrs and there will always, always, be techniques to be brushed up on and new ones to learn.

In a nutshell, in my experience its just a bloody good idea!:thumbup: