Green Business

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not expecting such a debate on the subject. We can forever search for new facts and figures on the subject but they are only one result from one group of scientists research into their particular hypothosis.

I am not well read on the subject but know that I would like to eventually work with horses as apposed to tractors.... Just after a little advice..... other than "buy a horse"....

Not expecting such a debate on the subject. We can forever search for new facts and figures on the subject but they are only one result from one group of scientists research into their particular hypothosis.

I am not well read on the subject but know that I would like to eventually work with horses as apposed to tractors.... Just after a little advice..... other than "buy a horse"....

There is a great little book called ' The horse in the forest ' by Hans Sidback.

Its a good little starter as its not to heavy going and quirky illustrations.

British Horse Loggers Association I'm sure would have it or possibly Amazon.

The Working Horse Manual is a good book aswell because it covers all aspects of working horses, from showing to ploughing and different harness configurations. This book is published by ' Farming Press '.

Hope that helps a little. :001_smile:

The working horse manual is a really good read. Have had it a few years now, got it from Amazon. It will certainly set you in the right direction. Do you already own horses? We got our first set of old and battered but useable driving tack given to us for our Welsh section A by a friend of a friend who drives horses. Like many things, people will always help out newcomers to their hobby / interest.

The BHL web-site is a good source of info, and Natural Traction based in Kent do courses on horse logging. We picked up a 6 month old cob on Saturday who will be broken to drive / cart in time, first time handled by humans and away from mum, so far so good, definatley got a good steady temperament. Well worth getting talking to people who are already into this sort of thing, read books, go to shows, scour the internet and offer to help anyone with heavy horses in any way you can. The Heavy Horse Trust take volunteers also to learn in a hands on way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
With the high cost of mains installation (and risk of cable thefts) has anyone on the forum used/considered smalll pole mounted scale solar/wind powered lighting on work bases? I found an interesting magazine with options and know the FC now have them in Sherwood carparks.

I,d be intersted to hear a response to this, I want to put solar powered lights on a shipping container but how would you store the electricty without spending a shed load?

I,d be intersted to hear a response to this, I want to put solar powered lights on a shipping container but how would you store the electricty without spending a shed load?

This is the one I found:-

HEI Solarlight

No need to store power as self contained and collects light 360. There is an option of batteries for use in heavy tree areas.