• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a case of seeing if it could be done!

LOL...you nailed it Drew !!

This splice is actually reasonably fun as long as you keep the whole core together on a hollow fid for as long as possible. If you are real lucky you can actually do the whole thing with a hollow fid.....one of my Fly and Eye's was done that way..I haven't spliced the Marlow Aeris but I would imagine it would be similar...

I'll try to get a few pics of the process tomorrow as I have a few to do..

Incidentally, the Fly and Eye's are utterly worthless for anything other than a decoration as the sheeth melts after your first climb :001_smile:

Edited by rich_h

LOL...you nailed it Drew !!

This splice is actually reasonably fun as long as you keep the whole core together on a hollow fid for as long as possible. If you are real lucky you can actually do the whole thing with a hollow fid.....one of my Fly and Eye's was done that way..I haven't spliced the Marlow Aeris but I would imagine it would be similar...

I'll try to get a few pics of the process tomorrow as I have a few to do..

Incidentally, the Fly and Eye's are utterly worthless for anything other than a decoration as the sheeth melts after your first climb :001_smile:

Bloody hard work, just to see if it's possible and not of much use when it's finished!

Absolutely fantastic! :biggrin:

BTW Well done, Ben. :thumbup1:

I find that removing the core and then tapering the end and fixing to a hollow fid really helps with keeping this splice under control. Good rope management will save you a ton of stress on this sucker..

Also, once you pass the core back through the eye, out again and back over to the other side I find that keeping both core sections separated helps immensely for burying later as well as for performing the crossover.. I use a karabiner between the core sections as pictured.

When completing the final crossover, you can insert a smaller fid for the crossover amount and then either follow with larger fids until you hit the one you are taped onto or you pull the larger hollow fids out and use a wire fid in the pre-stretched crossed over area to pull the final cross. With the area pre stretched you can usually pull 7 of the 11 strands pretty easily on the first pull which leaves 4 for the next pull.. All the while you can grip the core where it initially exits the rope and pull a bit to create slack or to tighten to compress the core you are trying to cross...

This makes a hell of a lot more sense in person :biggrin:

100_4124.JPG.3ad186dcd0168eb29f589d4406160309.JPG

100_4123.JPG.e6815bfdbc4f81c1cb0d8854e722f132.JPG

100_4122.JPG.a108a398a38e10ca17722ca716beaa5d.JPG

If you keep all the core strands from twisting it is actually pretty easy to get everything aligned where it should be....

After removing the excess sheeth section (cut on a 45 degree angle away from completed splice) I prefer to cover the throat with electrical tape to allow the whipping twine something to grip onto and then whip the full length of the frayed out sheeth... The end result isn't as pretty as a double braid, or 16 strand eye, but not too bad....

100_4128.JPG.1839ca9eae623f6be0af3d18cd631b40.JPG

100_4127.JPG.c6fafd918e931cdc2f8ef28640f91a22.JPG

I had some of this rope when it first was tested. The splice looked like a double braid splice and nothing like anything you lot have posted.

I only took the picture as it seemed a bit lumpy and wanted an opinion as to why it hadn't been whipped. I think Dean, sent an email off to Marlow about it. Cannot remember what the outcome of the email was... sorry.

:blushing:

marlow11mm.jpg.9a9b868260833b0d6729520ccc715228.jpg