Splicing Marlow Aeris

ben-jammin

Bump.

Anybody have any suggestions how much to taper the core and cover (step6 neropes heavy duty eye splice) if I'm burying the core into the cover and then the core and cover back into the rope below the eye??

Something just doesn't make me want to cut the empty cover off as per neropes and just lock and whip it.

Also, making a small eye for a small carab, got a feelin this is going to make a tricky splice trickier, any tips on when and what to milk or big no no's?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've spliced a 'heavy-duty kernmantle splice' into static kernmantle rope that I've put into a 4:1 pulley set-up.

It's a bugger!

I agree with Drew - it's ugly with that step along the side of the rope.

Ben, as for milking - make sure nothing is crossing anything else. When you're closing such a small eye you'll not have much wriggle room. I eventually managed after I realised that each stage had to be pulled closed as I went.

Don't expect that 'loop' of kern strands (effectively a kind of girth hitch at this point) to pull through AND tighten the eye at the same time.

As for not cutting the empty mantle - what else would you do with it? The splice is already ugly.

Yeah I had thought that leaving all that slack core to pull through as per the pictures wouldn't work as the core would be under too much friction.

I had read you can bury the core back into the empty jacket and then bury that back in under the eye but to me that seems like a lot of material to be burying together.

When whipping, do you whip right up to the V of the eye and then down beyond the cutoff point of the cover, how many locking stitches do you need? I guess cutting off the cover doesn't sit in my head right though I know looking at the splice there will be plenty enough strength in it to not worry about that.

Yeah I had thought that leaving all that slack core to pull through as per the pictures wouldn't work as the core would be under too much friction.

That's exactly right. The strands that you're pulling on are already cinching on themselves at the eye.

I wouldn't have a hope of burying the mantle AND the kern. Just about managed the kern!

I whippped from the V to beyond the bury of the core - mainly because I could stand the look of the 'amputated' jacket.

I only stitched a few inches beyond that - I agree with you on this splice's strength. Although I'm not sure, I feel that the splice's security comes from the 'lock' of the strands (like with a locked brummel) and not from the grip of the taper between the strands of the standing rope.

I've tapered the cover and buried it but it's not the easiest. An easier trick is to taper and then whip the tepered cover onto the outside and then cover in heatshrink . If you don't do this I found the blunt end catches the shackle when retrieving rope guide and after time opens the eye (still safe though) and make s an ugly splice even uglier.

So this is a far a I've got so far, ended up with lots more core as I milked the cover back to give myself enough wriggle room and now have quite a baggy jacket on the standing end for burying the remainding core.

Not the easiest splice but so far no wrecked hands and no yanking or swearing, yet!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323462813.904547.jpg.93ab80e920ec810512409f2a083c8fc5.jpg