Cost of day rate

AJarb

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to get £300 for climber, groundsman, truck & chipper.

There are so many (have ago tree surgeons) in my area you have to put a low price in to get a look in.

Gets to the point when you wonder why you get out of bed...... enjoyment of the job i guess.

Agreed. If you can pay your bills and be a viable company then fair point. Means you can do the job you want to but less than £300 for two and kit, :ohmy:

There are so many (have ago tree surgeons) in my area you have to put a low price in to get a look in.

Gets to the point when you wonder why you get out of bed...... enjoyment of the job i guess.

I never give day rates to private customers, do you not find that you can get far more done in a day than the "have ago's" that you speak of ?

I know that I am cheaper than many of my competitors on the price of many jobs, but also know a make more per day than most.

I guess i would be able to get alot more done but its getting that across to the customers. Who 9 times out of 10 are motivated by price.

Yes, but tell them your day rate! :thumbdown:

Give them a price for the job, do it in half the time of the "have ago's"!:001_tt1:

You win, the punter wins, every body is happy! :001_cool:

I always let knowledge, appearance and applied credibility do the work, you will always be beaten by somebody on price but if you can warrant your work with efficiency and proffesionalism then it's justifiable.

I was beaten on a job by 30 quid last week, what is left us long tear down the trunk and a pile of brash for the owner. Lesson learnt by them!!!!!

Some people are driven by the lowest price but if u work well then your work is justified for the cost!

There are so many (have ago tree surgeons) in my area you have to put a low price in to get a look in...

..Who 9 times out of 10 are motivated by price.

You operate in west sussex ! I`m pretty confident you could charge double that. £ 600 for 2-man / chipper and truck should be a so-so day. If you really believe you`re worth double, try charging double for one week. You might have no work the week after, or you may be pleasantly surprised. Let us know if you try it out.

Ever tried costing out your day rate if you had to hire the truck, saws, chipper etc. then add your wages plus your holiday pay and your sick and tax and NI.

Makes for an intersting exercise.

That's exactly as it should be done, you are in effect hiring out all your tackle.

Hence the reason you see many running about with knackered, clapped out tackle that can't afford to replace it.

Ever tried costing out your day rate if you had to hire the truck, saws, chipper etc. then add your wages plus your holiday pay and your sick and tax and NI.

Makes for an intersting exercise.

If I had to cost in EVERYTHING as hire charges plus wages sick pay tax etc the day rate would be astronomical!

How much would it cost alone to hire out just two sets of climbing kit and PPE, never mind the truck,chipper,saws,blower,rake,brush,shovel, tools etc etc.

It's all good and well charging a fortune but whats the use if you dont win any jobs?

It also goes for a low day rate, I could lower my rate so I have 10 hours a day 7days a week but I would be running around busy as hell but not make a penny.

Most of the time I think it depends on the customer base and the regional location of the work.