Best time to prune Oak.

jamesfwpurdy

Question

Hi everyone, just a quick question about when to prune branches on Large Oak trees.

I had decided to do it when I coppiced our hornbeam thinking it was a similar idea, when the sap is down etc. My father (owner of the trees so best keep him happy) read somewhere that its best to take the branches off when they are activly growing.

I am now confused about when to do it as I don't want to damage the tree by doing it incorrectly.

Any advice would be great thankyou.

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi everyone, just a quick question about when to prune branches on Large Oak trees.

I had decided to do it when I coppiced our hornbeam thinking it was a similar idea, when the sap is down etc. My father (owner of the trees so best keep him happy) read somewhere that its best to take the branches off when they are activly growing.

I am now confused about when to do it as I don't want to damage the tree by doing it incorrectly.

Any advice would be great thankyou.

Hi James,

In general, it's better to avoid pruning, certainly heavily, during periods of leaf-fall, i.e. around now, and leaf formation, i.e. early Spring.

Therefore when dormant, avoiding prolonged frost periods, or when actively growing, avoiding prolonged drought periods.

And rememeber, ideally, if you do want to 'heavly prune' a phased approach, a little but often, is better for the tree.

Regards..

Paul

PS As a point of refernce the industry standard for tree works is BS3998 (2010) 'Recommendations for Tree Work'

Altohugh if we prune when the tree is active (full leaf) it may help to seal up any of the initial cells around the cambial zone, especially if you look at the principles of pruning prunus relating to timing.

Before you jump on it, "initial" not the complete wound!!!! being blase

i would agree that a prune in the growing season is a better alternative, as pruning now and in the winter months leaves the tree with a wound that it is not actively able to protect and begin to compartmentalise. The summer pruning, although it may induce some bleeding, which is just rising sap, IMO is a much better choice as the tree can begin to deal with the wound ASAP and it can 'seal off' the area from pathogens that would take advantage of the dormant tree to break through compartment barriers to decay the tree.

It is certainly the view that Shigo expresses. I know it is "de rigeur" to find fault with Shigo's work, if you go back to inspect the wounds created during the winter dormancy, you will often see that the wound occlusion has failed to initiate at the lowest point on the stem ( @ 6 o'clock position) !