Heavy Duty Trailer tyres

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't really help you but I had the same problem on a 1.5t gross trailer with 4 tyres specked at 375kg all up weighed 1.2T with gear in that kept blowing, I changed to mini car tyres (yes I know not quite legal) and didn;t have a problem again. Guess the tri axle trailer wouldn't work as it would increase the weight over 3.5T. I've recently used a big chipper that had a skeleton type trailer that didn't weigh a lot to keep it under the weight limit, wonder if it would be worth a little modification.......

185/70 R13 GT Savero 106/104N (N = 87 Mph)

185/70 R13 Avon Trailer 950 106/104J (J = 62 Mph)

That's 3800 Kg over four wheels or 3600 Kg over two pairs of dual wheels.

I'm not sure that would solve your problem but it might be worth a shot next time your replacing them, probably cheaper too.

My Ifor came with 195/50R13 Avons which have all been replaced with maxmilers,trailermax or compass tyres.

The tyre fitter says they dont last because 6.5bar(95 psi) is too much when unloaded and they bounce around alot.

185/70R13 should carry more load or same load at reduced pressure and still fit your same rims.Tyre radius will be increased by about 30 mm.

HI mate my ifor dealer told me to put no more then 75 psi in them our tyres where maxmiler jon:thumbup:

Grossing 3.5t on a standard trailer and with a third axle you legally have a reduced payload. Seems a bit strange that a trailer rated for 3.5t doesn't, have adequate rubber on it? I,ll take look and see what we have on ours.

i agree with you but i didn't know what else to do, fed up of the hassle it caused everytime!! But i think it only reduced it by about 40 or 50kg if i remember right.:001_huh:

I've heard from three different sources that running the tyres at 95psi will cause problems.

I have been running the tyres at 75 psi and it just so happens that the day before I checked the pressures and upped them to 90 psi because I was dragging the mewp on an eighty mile round trip and thought it would save fuel

All the other blowouts have been when the tyres have been at 90 psi

Could be what the problem is ?

• 2 months later...

Just as an update, lost another 2 tyre on tuesday both the proper avon tyre running at 80 psi. Both tyres with distorted profile as if the cords have broken in the tyre were off the same side of trailer, nearside. Guess its the old potholes again and 3t load ?.

Just as an update, lost another 2 tyre on tuesday both the proper avon tyre running at 80 psi. Both tyres with distorted profile as if the cords have broken in the tyre were off the same side of trailer, nearside. Guess its the old potholes again and 3t load ?.

HI MATE I'm told by a dealer to run the tyres at 75psi all the best jon :thumbup: