Four acres for wildlife?

blades

Hay cut after flowers have dropped their seeds, this will help reduce fertility. Further reduce fertility by light/medium grazing with a few cows or sheep in autumn/winter. The light poaching of the ground they cause will allow for less competitive plant species to get established. You could also go down the line of buying in bales of species rich meadow hay and spreading it about, but maybe see what you've got first.

Already mentioned I think that the more diversity of habitats you have the more diverse wildlife you'll get.

Plant a few broadleaved trees, and hedgerows that can later be layed. Also, put in a couple of scrapes in areas where water will lie, (probably near your existing ponds. Surround with habitat piles for amphibians and reptiles to overwinter.

Wish I had 4 acres to play with - have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 4 acres of land that are currently split into 4 paddocks. Due to work commitments I cannot keep any livestock as I am kept busy mon – fri during daylights hours.

I have considered letting the land to perhaps a horse owner but I think I would prefer to tailor the land to benefit the wildlife more.

The area is surrounded by woodland and I have some large ponds in place already. Any ideas of how to best manage these 4 acres (currently in grass) with wildlife in mind and also to avoid cutting grass all summer?

Cake and eat it springs to mind… but I thought I would at least get some opinions?

Thanks in advance

I've got five acre which we manage for wildlife, grow sacrificial crops etc. Got barn owl boxes up etc. Have a look at my websites

Welcome - Leechpool Wildlife

Leechpool Wildlife

Un-PC thought...

Ever consider the poor peasant who spent decades of back-breaking effort with hand tools and a horse to rip out all the trees, till, manage and improve that soil to try and scratch a subsidence living only to have someone with more food than they need come along and turn hsi effortes back to a cute little nature reserve that only his friends can enjoy?

How about a crop for foreign aid?

(just being contrary)

id love to have four acres i could play with, so much you could do. another thought maybe if you havnt got the time to manage it is to get some one else in to do, find some one local, maybe a young lad in the area is looking for some where to keep bit of stock, cut them a deal so you can reap a reward as in meat etc...