what books are you all reading?

daveindales

The Running Hare - 'The secret life of farmland'

In a nutshell; the author rents a field (Welsh border area) for a year with the aim to plough, grow wheat and study the plants and animals - he does all that (but not in a modern sense) and the result is a stark difference to the neighbouring farm.

The book is poetic & educational and (for me) highlights the real cost of cheap food - whilst proving that nature, given a chance can recover in numbers... where we allow it.

A positive glint into what is otherwise a pretty bleak state of our natural environment.

Cheers, Steve

image.jpeg.c6f6d98584e82cb00c71ed0c72871c8e.jpeg

It must be in the air Steve
Just finnish Meadowlands by John Lewis-Stemple- the private life of an English field. Also set in on the Welsh borders, and about the farm and wildlife that live there.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandspider said:

John Lewis-S is a good countryside writer, I like his work. The running hare is on my list but not got round to it yet. (He also wrote some books about soldiers in the World Wars if I remember right - not read them, but I'd expect them to be interesting)

Wouldnt be a bad thing if he was Sectretary of State for the Environment.... especially when compared with the recent morons in post!

Cheers, steve 

On 3 September 2017 at 15:13, Gary Prentice said:

https://knepp.co.uk/rewildingkneppvideo/ 

The majority of people that disconnect probably don't or wouldn't do anything to influence change anyway, so is that actually important?

The link above is from David Humpheries post this morning.

I really would recommend the book I posted about this morning too. It's full of people who didn't disconnect and made real changes in America. I can't remember the name, but a seventeen year old student started a movement to plant a million trees in New York. When the US Forest Service wouldn't give him trees that they were going to destroy he contacted the media and ended up with a few thousand saplings. He got a milk company to supply free cartons to grow them on and local schools to do that and plant them. It doesn't need a majority, just a few people with the drive and initiative to make change.

I'm in a positive frame of mind today:D

That's a fantastic thing to see - and just what I needed.... a bit of hope amongst so much that is wrong. Very inspiring. Thanks for cheering me up Gary, I've been feeling pretty glum about the bigger picture https://knepp.co.uk/rewildingkneppvideo/

cheers, steve

• 3 years later...