sycamore roots causing subsidence

robertsonstreecare

Question

i recently visited a client who explained to me that they have been experiencing what they believe to be root problems causing damage to their house. the cause is potentially a large sycamore tree which stands approximately 5 metres from the house. the question she asked me is could i prove that the roots were the cause of the problem? the tree is protected and the council require proof of root damage before they will consider removing the tree. i advised her that without any excavation work all i could say was that due to the size (height 50 feet, crown spread 40 feet) and the proximity to the building that it was very possible the tree could be causing the problem but i am not sure how this could be proved?? any advice would be welcome!!

also may be significant the house actually stands about 10 metres from the tree but they added a conservatory about 5 years ago which is now 5 metres from the butt. the roots at the butt are also raised in a mound, but not protruding through the grass.

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Is this the case with other species of trees? i have just looked at a eucalyptus appox 30inch diameter 45ft tall and approx 7 feet from the house. No current evidence of substancial structural damage apart from drains and pathway but needs to be removed due to future building work. Ground conditions are loamy soil ontop of underlying clay. Would removing the tree in stages have any less effect on shrinkage of clay around the footings or could it be done in 1 hit without any ill effects?

I am just putting my opinion forward, I am not in anyway an expert on anything really.

The issue with soil with a high percentage of clay particles is that the addition or removal of water can make the soil volume expand or shrink accordingly.

This is where the potential for structural disturbance lies. The extra demand produced by a tree can make the soil shrink and then heave when water levels are raised again.

Removing the tree is unlikely to create subsidence issues as far as I am aware as once the tree is dead water demand is gone and any decaying roots decay relatively slowly and the space left is gradually filled by soil.

However, having said that, intense rot fungi can certainly create tunneling and collapsing in the soil as I have witnessed today. As far as I am aware the real risk comes from heave due to soil swelling.

IMO if you're even considering giving advice on the subject of this thread you should have at least read 'Tree Root Damage To Buildings volume 1'. It's written by Giles Biddle and really is essential stuff.

Honestly, I'm amazed when "tree surgeons" tell me they've never even heard of it and there's plenty more reading on this and related subjects.

IMO if you're even considering giving advice on the subject of this thread you should have at least read 'Tree Root Damage To Buildings volume 1'. It's written by Giles Biddle and really is essential stuff.

Honestly, I'm amazed when "tree surgeons" tell me they've never even heard of it and there's plenty more reading on this and related subjects.

Probably wise words. :thumbup1:

Totally agree :thumbup:

The maxim “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” springs to mind.

Anyone giving (any) advice to clients has to be aware that if the client places reliance on your advice and that advice turns out to be less that the best you could well end up on the wrong end of a law suit, generally speaking the higher the financial value the more likely the litigation becomes and most peoples largest spend is the house they live in.

Biddles book is a good resource but IMHO offering advice on subsidence will require more knowledge that that.

fair enough, no im not pretending to be an expert on the subject but im keen to learn and thought i may aswell ask the question on this site. thats what i thought it was for!