Female's on the tools?

Mike Hill

Tom I think that showing what our job is all about on mainstream media is a good way to encourage minority participation in the industry.

I think the majority of the population has no clue what so ever about what our job entails, exposure will create new interest from new people.

Maybe?

I think definitely that more media coverage would encourage more women to choose tree work as a career. But I would like to see media coverage that doesn't portray the few women in the industry the way women in male-dominated industries are always portayed: as abnormal extraordinary creatures; that will do nothing but perpetuate the idea that you need to be male or act male to fit in. The pictures that Buzz has posted of Anna above, or similar photos, can be very inspirational for girls/women (and they defintiely are for me), as they show that a woman of normal physique can be capable of carrying out this sort of job.

Tony Kirkham and the BBC did some filming at the European TCC earlier this year, but I'm not sure how much of that will focus on the ladies.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How a woman could do this job, I'll never know.

The main issue for me is genital.

How the hell does a woman go pee on site???

Ok - i really need to answer this one.

we drop trow and squat

:proud:

So if a lady wanted to get into tree care work, where is the door to knock on?

I got my initial introdcution to the tree care industry on a date. I knew that tree care was being done, i even hired a company to so some work for me, BUT never thought of that as a career. Now, I talk to my children and Grands to advise them that this fun climbing that we do can become a Career. Are there groups that visit local schools to promote the industry or is it all word of mouth.

jz

• 3 years later...

Hi all I new this topic would come up at some point and it's good to discuss it . It's a shame y have a couple of lazy workers but from a females point it will be very rare in arb as being a girl y really really have to want to do the job . as for myself as a groundy and climber I work my sox of every day I am able to do the same as the lads , for me it's easy as l love my work and I am very fit to match . I love using all the big and small saws I am allways first at the large log ring luging session and give the lads a run for there money

Naturally there is a difference between men and women men are stronger and heavier . I am small and very light so If I need a hand I just ask it does have some advantages though , I can go up some trees some of the chaps could not go .But When it comes to the big thick stuff up the tree i leave that for the chaps to do or at least till it gets to the ground then I go for it with the big one . When it comes the chipping and brashing I pull drag and chip double what I need to but love every bit of it .

As for females having a pee on the job we just adapt I have sevrale different methods depending on the situation , bushes are allways the prefered method if that' an option then my little tarporling works wonders itacts like a mini tent :thumbup::thumbup: now that will get you all laughing

Littletree

The whole discussion about how girls are supposed to go to the loo is ridiculus... It used to be an argument for girls not to be allowed to do militaryservice:thumbdown:

If you are competent, then youre competent! Right?

Besides:

Information about the Pipinette Potty

A collegue swears by them! :thumbup: But we usually find a café that are more then willing to lend her their toilet.:001_smile:

Besides:

Information about the Pipinette Potty

A collegue swears by them! :thumbup:

No idea why I'm surfing & reading about urine disposal at this ungodly hour :blushing:

But really...................?

"At the garden allotment

A Pipinette is handy to have at the garden allotment or even in your garden at home. Easy to use discretely and the urine can then be used as fertiliser"

"Fertiliser for plants

Urine is an excellent fertiliser for the garden and vegetable patch – use one part urine with nine parts water"

:001_rolleyes: