Boots

schofield

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who climbs without chainsaw boots is IMO opinion an idiot. I've seen boots hit, and the thought of a topper hitting my foot doesn't sound too attractive. I love my protector pros. Was a thread a couple of days ago where most people seemed to agree! Basically, Tey are long lasting and once worn in (go for a 3 hour trek) feel like slippers. Again without wanting to come across as arrogant and confrontational I really can't imagine anyone in their right mind not climbing with ballistic boots on.

i imagine you are a novice?

Looks like I will be getting protector pros then!

Out of interest to the lads who don't wear chainsaw boots,

do you only climb? Do you come down once trees done and watch your groundy clean up your mess?

I know once im done in tree I get down and crack on with cleaning up and use a saw on the ground thus needing saw boots!! Wouldn't fancy hitting my foot with a 460!!

• 3 months later...

My employer is very heavy on H&S so I have no choice but to wear ballistic boots. Having said that, when I worked in the states a few years ago nobody wore and kind of ballistics, boots trousers or otherwise, in the tree. Never had a problem.

As has been said, although the ballistics are really good insurance, sensible work positioning makes all but a good helmet with ear/eye protection pretty much redundant and I'd love to be able to climb in a plain old pair of army boots.

Having said that, if the boots are comfortable the extra protection doesn't hurt.

Couple of things here, and I'm not necessarily pointing the finger, but some here would say its wrong for someone unqualified/untrainned etc to be doing treework or any other job come to that that requires the use of PPE/safety equipment, etc, etc

So surely its dangerous/risky/illegal and almost certainly infringing HSE and other relevant laws to be using a chainsaw without the correct PPE which I'm sure includes the relevant boots!

10 years climbing this year, and although I have to wear PPE trousers/boots as a condition of employment, I've never once even nearly cut a pair of boots or pants. Everyone knows what they are comfortable doing safety-wise after a few years in the saddle. H&S has long gone past the point of replacing common sense. As long as you can get away with it, make the most of it. I know if my employer told me I didn't have to wear ballistics, I'd never wear them again.