Measuring tree heights

Giles Hill

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stick trick werks cuz you are making a 90deg. angle with 2 sides equal(to your arm length). Thus a 45degree angle, that you then extend the legs of to the height of tree and length from tree (equal). i think it comes out better measuring (with stick on side) to ear, to offset this a little bit. That can work because to properly sight the 45deg to the top of the tree, your eye would have to be at the far corner (your armpit).

But,this is best for vertical tree. Ones with forward lean, you'll be sighting for height from ground, to determine height from stump. Thus the greater the forward lean, the greater the error. For leaning forward (or backwierd) very much it can be better to look at tree not from front, but from side, with stick. Stand away from it, raise up stick at arm's length, tip of stick sighted with top and mark hinge area with thumb on stick. Then, keeping thumb lined up with cut, tilt top to site where it should fall by siting and keeping same angles as originally.

The 45deg angle is also key in other 'home remedies' of bending over and looking through legs, siting in pan of water etc.

I guess. never been wrong*. I use my own sense of self preservation. I stand away away and think if it was felled, would it hit me. It's either a yes or a no, eventually I find somewhere the top leaves would tickle my face. Distance to base is the height of the tree. Takes about 10 seconds and *I was once 2 foot out.