Hedge Trimming or Lawn Mowing as Business Options

ATC1983

i work everyday and have picked up 127 regular customers in 2 years, who we visit fortnightly, i have a mimimum price of £20 and i do everything in the garden because i am super quick, if you keep on top of it its never a big job. when it gets to december 11th its time for a month off.

I can strim, lawn edge, hoe, rake, mow and blow in less than an hour. people notice a grafter

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum has been very useful and this thread very informative.

I am looking to start my own small business hedge trimming, lawns etc. I have decided to have a career change. I have always been interested in gardening

Looking to start small to see how it goes.

One thing that bothers me, and its actually an issue with a friend of mine who is a window cleaner.

His biggest issue is dog pooh, and the fact that he has to avoid mounds of the stuff whilst trying to clean windows

For the people who cut lawns on here, do you pick up the dog pooh or do you ask the owners to pick up?

I cant imagine anyone just mows the lawn with dog muck everywhere - if I was a customer I would see to it that the lawn is clear before I had anyone mowing it

Thoughts please

i get 21 hours a week work all year round. and i have a different contract that may give me 2 days a week. winter becomes a bit sparce. so i charge a different rate

do other work as it comes my way and if its a big job then give a price if its just a small job by the hour £15.00.

but to make a good living and its not a annual contract but may be just a one off then higher charge.

Price mowing per job then as someone has already said you can earn a decent hourly rate. Most of my other customers find other bits that need doing.....at an extra cost. Hedge cutting is usually found on most of the sites I do as well as others, but is always nice to have a change so never turn that down. In the winter I do fencing as well which I absolutely love doing and it keeps me busy. Firewood? There are loads of different bits you can do or even look to doing in the future. I have been doing all the above on a part time basis for the last 3 years (as I have a full time job already) and I have over 20 lawns lots of hedges as well as tree work and fencing. If you do a good job people will tell others and business will expand. Good luck and make sure you pay your taxes!! Not worth the hassle if someone does report you!!

I started Mac Gardensolutions back in April 2012, its the best thing Iv'e ever done. Hard graft but a sheer joy, lost 4 stone by Christmas. I have regular clients Mon-Weds. This keeps Thurs/ Fri /Sat free for Jet Washing, Landscaping and hedge /tree work/. £15-£18 per hour is the going rate here or £20-£25per visit (for up to 1.5 hours). I got two years free web site from Yola. Its well worth a look and easy to set up. I'm not a horticulturalist but I know how to cut, prune and tidy and as an ex Countryside Ranger the practical work comes in very handy for putting up fences, building decks, drystone walls etc.

How much do you boys charge for taking away green waste, grass clippings, Hedge clippings, brush, timber and old fence panels ect? Do you need a waste carriers licence?

Where do you take it? I have heard alot of conflicting stories about this subject I think it boils down to the council and if the council employes horse come in!

yes you do need a waste carrier licence. EA do them there is two types one is free the other is £150 per year .

depends where you are going to tip house recycling centers will not take trade waste or in hampshire you can have 12 permits a year to take some. other centres looking at £25 plus per visit to take in so need to work out how many loads how much per load fuel and your time. can work out not a cheap job.