Hedge Trimming or Lawn Mowing as Business Options

ATC1983

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my main income, i started doing general gardening it was ok, but i found it boring going to the same places every week for a couple of hours,people end up finding things for you to do to fill time,sweeping the same drive etc every week can be tedious.

So slowly picked up more grass cutting jobs, i price each lawn at a fixed price,you may lose time in the spring when the grass well away, but you soon gain it back during the summer months.

If you get 3-5 houses close together so you dont have to load everything up before moving, your in the money.One place i charge £15 a lawn do 4 in just over an hour not bad money wise, but if im gunna get a "can you just while your here" its here:001_rolleyes:

So flyer whole rows of houses etc, I put on the flyer great discounts for groups of houses/neigbours. I strim them all then mow them all, job done.

Hedge cutting to be fair is not my fave, but you pick the work up via the lawns, do them before you cut the lawn, if you can then use the mower to pick up the small leaves/cuttings always tidys the area up well.

Remember thou No work during the winter, so i have kept on some general jobs which helps!

Yeah that's the probem - at least 12 weeks with no work. Is it normal to set aside cash to get through the Winter? Someone was advising me to get a leaf blower and clear up leaves during the Winter months but would people actually pay for this?

a nice ibea or billy goat will save you a mountain of time. theres work out there all winter, just got to put your mind to things and put the cogs in motion:thumbup1:

try little churches? small industrial units? garages the list is endless...

no one likes rubbish or dirty unkept areas

Edited by log supplier

Yeah i put a bit aside each month to ease winter, i have gone it to logs to help.

As for leaf blower, one of the first things i bought. I did get lucky though, i was on eBay it said it would'nt run smoothly or trun off, i done the spark plug up and connected the switch wire back, its never missed a beat since :thumbup:

Some you win!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth!

If you're starting a business you've got to take pride in it and in yourself. So, on the basis of that you need to consider

* Give your business a name ( register it if you wish), create a logo

* Register to pay your taxes

*Get yourself insured, it's not expensive and you can pay by the month, there's no excuse for not being insured.

* Decide to take pride in your work, that includes doing the very best you can for customers and seeking advice where necessary ( here for example). Don't take chances with trees or hedges if you're unsure, bad word spreads much faster than good.

* Advertise, but be aware of the fact that nothing beats good word of mouth ( or conversely bad word spreads fast)

I understand you are starting out so initially just get insured and go out there and do a good job.The rest can follow ( sooner rather than later).

When you build up some cash I would advise you to get a CS30/31 (at least) if you intend to fell trees as you suggested. I really find it amusing that you intend to charge a premium to fell trees, yet you're not getting insured and you have no tickets ( correct me I'm wrong). Technically, you don't need tickets but of all the gear in my shed the chainsaws get most respect. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not having them...........

Before you say that I'm getting carried away here, remember this; The type of customer you want is the person that will pay you properly and allow you to make a decent living. In return, they deserve a person that knows what he/she is doing, is insured, professional,trustworthy and well presented.

Edited by aob9

• 4 weeks later...

You must get insurance, and you've got to pay tax and NI. I hate being undercut by P*KI*S who can only afford to undercut by not paying their dues. Sure, tax and NI are a pain, but you might realise the value of it one day when you're in hospital being treated for free after felling a tree on yourself that you've charged a premium to fell. And you don't pay tax on the first part of your earnings anyway. If you make nothing, you pay nothing. You just need to make sure that your prices take into account the tax you will have to pay, and budget for it properly. And where's the sense in paying hundreds and hundreds for an ad in Yellow Pages, yet nothing on insurance?