New Chainsaw Training

Jonesie

Justin

Do me a favour, just got hm after a days wk to find I have been cleaned out, locked garage broken into, tool vault smashed open and everythin stolen, see list below,if anything pops up call the cops!! Spead the word..........

Stilh Chainsaw 064AV 117494971

Stilh Chainsaw MS460 153165513

Stilh Chainsaw MS361 162237379

Stilh Chainsaw MS260 155467136

Stilh Chainsaw MS200 164026778

Stihl Hedge cutter HL75K 164621103

Stihl Pole saw HT75 163514021 (not in tool vault)

Stihl Brush cutter FS450 ????

Husquvarna Chainsaw 346XP AP05959 (numbers engraved on side) Stihl Blower BG86 280240228

Thanks Mate

Out of wk Andy :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really pleased that this is being taken seriously....I think the OP outlined a great syllabus, but this is from a professionals viewpoint, not a 'consumer' view.... As a potential customer I think I'd want to see use and basic maintenance only. Things like replacing pull cords will probably be slightly different for each saw and will probably cause confusion.(or be forgotten when needed.) Handouts, manuals or a pointer to a good repair shop may be better.

I think keeping the course short and snappy would be best for getting punters in. As most people will be weekend users only, they will soon forget the detail, so general principles only would be best. Maybe a video of the important parts would be good too. Reminding the clients that this is a basic familiarisation only would be good. -know your limits stuff.

I'd hope that eventually the likes of Stihl and Husky would encourage all their retailers to provide much of this as part of the sales process, but I may be waiting a long time so anyone providing this sort of training would be very welcome. Next question.... How to make this provision national?

I'd hope that eventually the likes of Stihl and Husky would encourage all their retailers to provide much of this as part of the sales process.

Hopefully if this goes well they may do.... after all Stihl are already doing their bit for safety with their online selling restrictions! :flute::flute:

great idea l would also target woodturners via woodturning clubs forums etc

woodturners are buying saws to process trunks etc into turning blanks, their practice is sometimes questionable.

I would make sure you dont get the participants to bring their own saws to the sessions as you will end up repairing or condemning a lot of saws

best of luck

It sounds like the cs30 ticket I just delivered. I feel you need more emphasis on 'back yard safety' as I am assuming that the majority of these folk would be cutting up their firewood and not felling anything? Maybe you ought to look at securing logs in saw benches or clamps. A spinning, unsecured log can be the cause of quite a serious injury.

One day may not be long enough if you have more than two learners to one trainer. The course would have to stress that they would not be fully qualified in saw use unless they took the nptc assessment.

It sounds like the cs30 ticket I just delivered. I feel you need more emphasis on 'back yard safety' as I am assuming that the majority of these folk would be cutting up their firewood and not felling anything? Maybe you ought to look at securing logs in saw benches or clamps. A spinning, unsecured log can be the cause of quite a serious injury.

One day may not be long enough if you have more than two learners to one trainer. The course would have to stress that they would not be fully qualified in saw use unless they took the nptc assessment.

:party::party::party:

i cant see the point in taking/ paying for a corse that dosent give any qualification there is just no point ok it will teach you the basic's thats is but this dosent mean the you will be any safer just look back to how many accidents happen to professional highly qualified chainsaw users every year sorry joniese if this seems hard to you or maby affect you some how but this is just my view on this idea

i cant see the point in taking/ paying for a corse that dosent give any qualification there is just no point ok it will teach you the basic's thats is but this dosent mean the you will be any safer just look back to how many accidents happen to professional highly qualified chainsaw users every year sorry joniese if this seems hard to you or maby affect you some how but this is just my view on this idea

I see your point, but I don't think a qualification is required.... My thinking is that without any awareness of the hazards, you don't see them. Giving people basic hazard awareness means that they should be thinking about what can go wrong and to take appropriate action. An example... If you didn't know about kickback, you would probably end up touching the nose of the saw on something and experiencing it. Similarly with how the saw feels when you are cutting on the top vs the bottom of the bar. The knowledge of these hazards means that you should keep your eye out for not touching the nose on things, and to make sure you have a stable stance and be prepared for how the saw moves.

Stupid as it sounds, people may not think just how stupidly fast the chain spins and how fast it can move things if not secured. Consequently they may think more about securing the work.

I have spent a great deal of time working with machine safety allbeit in a lab, but I've learned that you cannot cover everything. The important bit is to teach people how to think about what they are doing, and that requires basic awareness of the risks. Combining this with the basics of the saw itself and I think you would have a valuable course which didn't have to take a long time or cost much. The benefit to the customer is not a certificate, but the knowledge that they are more likely to have all their limbs in two years time.

I may be talking rubbish here as I am largely self tought, but am careful,a cautious and concentrate on the work and this has to date kept me safe.

Info on pro user accident please?? how can you get stats on pro and diy accidents surely it's just under chainsaw incidents. Maybe i'm wrong, surely its a good idea to do a course for the diy firewood/ wood turner etc etc . For one it shows them where to put the oil and fuel :biggrin:

I would go on the course if i was a diy user.