Arborist Vacancy - Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

Will Hinchliffe

its a great opportunity for someone, I think a lot of people have a poor attitude to work and money. Many people work for months or even years as unpaid interns just to get a foothold in the career of their choice. I started in tree work on 8k, and that was after earning £40k in the city. As an employer I would much rather take someone who had spent a year at the botanics than a bolshy college leaver who thinks he's worth 30k.

:thumbup: well said :thumbup:

its a great opportunity for someone, I think a lot of people have a poor attitude to work and money. Many people work for months or even years as unpaid interns just to get a foothold in the career of their choice. I started in tree work on 8k, and that was after earning £40k in the city. As an employer I would much rather take someone who had spent a year at the botanics than a bolshy college leaver who thinks he's worth 30k.

yep thats very true its a great opportunity for someone but just not me. I gotta eat as well as pay rent here and a mortgage in Rome. Go back 20 years and i would for sure be standing at the gate tomorrow morning.

Great point Tom, my point is more the wage does not reflect what they are asking the successful candidate to do, It reads they are looking for someone with a bit of experience and a level 2 in arb, that's more the reason I think it's a poor wage, regardless what your cv says at the end of the 8 months.

Edited by Robert_S

Read the job desc, the candidate is expected to have a level 2, the basic naff NPTC's yet also be able to do full-on surveying and needs ID and BS knowledge of a level 3/4/5.

Another example of employers asking for and paying for less, but expecting the world.

Personally speaking, I will have a go for the opportunity. In theory my CV wipes the floor with that job description so I "should" be top of the list..........

We'll see eh?

Interesting debate... As someone just starting out in the industry I am surprised at this wage... After tax and expenses it's not significantly more than I would expect to earn in a year and I couldn't dream of applying for this post, not enough experience or qualifications.

I suppose it would just be a really interesting job and a great wee team. Probably a dream for the right person, but def not for everyone...