Splicing tools

David Goss

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing a lot of you doing your own splicing and thought why the hell not try it myself.

Couple of questions first....

1) what tools do i need and where can i get good quality ones for as cheap as possible?

2) obviously i will want to start at the easy end of the spectrum so what do you suggest i start with?

3) where can i get the best instructions? You tube? PDF files?

Hopefully i can get into this and while the wife is doing her crochet i can do my splicing... everyones a winner :thumbup:

David have a word with the guys at treeworker, they sell splicing gear inc wire fids already made up if you don't fancy making your own, Daks photos show pretty much all you need.

Be warned it's highly addictive but expect some blisters along the way:sneaky2:

Good luck and enjoy,

David have a word with the guys at treeworker, they sell splicing gear inc wire fids already made up if you don't fancy making your own, Daks photos show pretty much all you need.

Be warned it's highly addictive but expect some blisters along the way:sneaky2:

Good luck and enjoy,

Not knocking tree worker but for the price of one wire fid from them you can buy years worth of wire, also find they snap easier tied that way.

Just my 2cents worth :D

Not knocking tree worker but for the price of one wire fid from them you can buy years worth of wire, also find they snap easier tied that way.

Just my 2cents worth :D

Yep I agree, snapped a couple myself, I think maybe it's because they're made from piano wire and a bit brittle if you pinch the bend too tight(that was my problem anyway) , I was suggesting them if he doesn't fancy going down the diy route. Gonna get a roll of wire myself in readiness.....:thumbup1:

the joy of diy being you can make differing lengths for larger/shorter eyes etc. and the price, £4.30 i paid for my roll

Can't beat that value, I was going to buy a roll of piano wire but think I'll try some welding wire first:thumbup: