I need some leaves of a Quercus suber (Cork Oak)

RobArb

Enjoy seeing shots of trees in their natural habitat :thumbup1:

not so natural harvesting them though... I have had words with my father in law and hopefully he can get me on to a squad when they go out to do the harvest. I am more curious as to how it all works more than anything, should be a good experience and i will get to eat the best cheeses in the world for lunch break:thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've done a couple of cork harvests in southern spain, all done by axe, you'll have very black hands for a couple of weeks from the sap! good fun but really hot as you harvest at the begining of the summer while the sap is rising. lunch break of iberian ham was pretty good to

I've done a couple of cork harvests in southern spain, all done by axe, you'll have very black hands for a couple of weeks from the sap! good fun but really hot as you harvest at the begining of the summer while the sap is rising. lunch break of iberian ham was pretty good to

mmmmm Jamon:drool:

I could do a spain trip just for that alone:thumbup:

Can you get some leaves whilst your there:lol:

Sent from Rob's GalaxySII

haha you might need to wait till the summer mate!

Just had a thought however, if your stuck and really cant get any leaves i could get her old man to nip out and gather a few and send them over. Let me know if your stuck and i will see what i can do:thumbup1:

its no bother to me mate i just need to make a skype call :001_rolleyes:

I think the wife is heading over to Rome next week as well but she would probably come back with leaves from a cactus or something :lol:

I will see if i can explain it well enough to her and then see if she can find a cork oak in Rome. I know there are plenty because i have worked on a few of them but lets just say her tree ident aint the best!

its no bother to me mate i just need to make a skype call :001_rolleyes:

I think the wife is heading over to Rome next week as well but she would probably come back with leaves from a cactus or something :lol:

I will see if i can explain it well enough to her and then see if she can find a cork oak in Rome. I know there are plenty because i have worked on a few of them but lets just say her tree ident aint the best!

I'm working on my missus, but she ain't interested... ID's that is !:lol::blush:

wrong thread i know, but as you fancy your skills somewhat and i know who your tutor is this may get interesting.

a year ago i had to condemn a pergoda tree ona site a friend manages, i had planned to identify it and propogate it, but he felled it and told me months later!

now, the problem is thus, i wanted to replace this tree as a gift for the site which once rivalled kew, around the sixties. now this pergoda was variegated, but not in anyway currently described, the variegation was a band of pale yellow running down the midrib longtitudinaly.

name this tree or find its brother/sister and you will be better than ANYONE ive asked to date! including hilliers and barchams!

This is a burden on my mind, to replace this tree, but have been unable to do so, i fear it may have been a unique sport.

Not challenge, but MISSION accepted:biggrin:

Give me a week or two and I'll track down what info I can:thumbup:

To start though, do you mean the pagoda tree?

In latin it can get confusing as I think synonyms are similar eg Sophora japonica and Styphnolobium japonicum???

Edited by RobArb