Horse Chesnut with cracks

benedmonds

I've seen and climbed worse, and had been split for a long time.

A reduction and brace should be enough to make it safe then monitor it yearly. Its a great tree retain it for as long as possible.

Theres no way I'm condeming the tree, but does it need the brace and reduce? I don't like bracing trees, causes as many problems as it solves, possibly more.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theres no way I'm condeming the tree, but does it need the brace and reduce? I don't like bracing trees, causes as many problems as it solves, possibly more.

I'm not an expert on bracing, but usually bracing once the leaves are gone is best, set the brace loose, so that once it has leaves and more weight in the summer its tighter, generally the way i look at it a cobra type brace is only there to prevent extremes of movement not give support!

I've seen braces set to tight and it seems to be a negative thing, leading the the tree putting on reactive wood in the wrong places and not in the right ones.

Its all about duty of care, you've seen it you know its a potential problem, chesnuts can suffer from summer limb drop, it would be prudent to do something, would it not? Even though it could grow with a defect like this for many years.

I'd like to point out i'm not an expert, just my opinions from my very short career as an arborist, would like to know what others think.

Difficult to prescribe a course of action without a site visit but here are my suggestions.

In order to prescribe a course of action we need to look at the mechanisms that would cause the “crack” to propagate. That’s likely to be oscillation or torque moment, or a combination of the two. Thinning doesn’t have as great and effect on wind loading as the degree of work deserves. A minor, and I do mean minor reduction would be more effective at addressing the oscillation issues. Reducing any large laterals will reduce the torque loading.

I have never been a fan of bracing, I did a lot of it during my time in Germany and didn’t see any tangible benefits on trees that had been braced in the past. Bracing is akin to structural engineering and even if you were to “do the sums” when you install, the tree is dynamic so you would need to go back on a cyclical basis to check the tree. I would prefer to see a mechanism for stopping the limb causing damage if it failed. A “catch chain” or similar perhaps?

So much the invasive issues. My preferred option would be to remove the target. Has anyone looked at that?

Andy

. My preferred option would be to remove the target. Has anyone looked at that?

Andy

That was my first thought, but it would be difficult. The path leads from the carpark to the school. Its not a very high use target except a couple of times a day.. But it is an imotive, delicate and valuble (to their parents) target..

I would prefer to see a mechanism for stopping the limb causing damage if it failed. A “catch chain” or similar perhaps?

Do you have any info regarding this type of procedure. I guess I have done it before when installing a brace that was specified I didn't think necassary and on a previously braced tree. I used webbing slings and wire but I have not read any recomendations for its use.

I would agree actually.....it IS difficult to prescribe a realistic, accountable course of action without a site visit and inspection...it doesnt seem to stop anybody postulating as to a course of action however or for that matter airing their opinions on the matter.....

The hook for me is the fact that the tree is in school grounds but this in itself is so far a subjective understanding of the facts. The point being, the first assessment you need to make is that of risk....you may well have a hazard but thus far it is an unknown quantity IMO.

I too thought Bob's comment was a bit off to be honest but for the reasons I've just explained, I still dont think they are very constructive but see where he is coming from.....:closedeyes:

Clearly the quickest, easiest and most effective course of action for all concerned is in fact to remove the targets!:001_smile:

Presumably an appropriately rated modern polymer would be perfect , as the mode of contact may be less invasive. It should not prevent the tree from moving in any way as you say Andy in order to allow the tree's adaptive growth processes full expression .