Mini Excavator advice

blades

Takeuchi or Schaeff all the way IMO. Lots of tear out power for the size of the machines, better build quality and more than one hydraulic pump. If you are looking at 3 tonne machines IME you can get 2 arm lengths. Get the shorter armed machine, as the longer arm just serves to overbalance the machine. TBH a 1.5 tonne Takeuchi will outdig a 3 tonne JCB any day.

Aftersales on CAT is superb from what i have been told.

Agreed. Compare the ram sizes on a 1.5ton Shaeff (now sold as Terex, also sold as New Holland for a while) with that of JCB. The rams are almost half as big again in diameter, which equates to much, much more power. I can't stand JCB minis, they're gutless.

My 1.5 ton Schaeff has the same engine and pump as they put in the 2 ton version. You can pull it up and over the blade all day long- a JCB will just die.

I have a friend in the professional tarmacing business, and all his machines are Cat. He says the after sales support is unbelievably good.:thumbup1:

Don't even consider buying a mini digger without getting a grab for it.:thumbup:

A good operator is what makes a small digger safe. With a mini and grab you become part of the machine, it's like it's your hand out there on the end of the jib. You don't get that feeling with a larger machine.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont get anything less than 2.5 ton for landscaping you move/stop/start in short lenths and makes it a lot harder to keep level also short dipper a pain if landscaping it only comes half way in before you have to start dropping the main boom again not easy to keep things level far easyer to pull main boom and dipper in one movement ! I have a 2.5 cat and cant fault it starts even in coldest of winter and some times sitting for a few months

ps

think I might hold the record time for changeing a fuel filter on one of these --achieved when it stalled when useing as a "poker" at a brash fire!!!!::001_tt2:

• 1 month later...

Hi Blades,

some very interesting points and everyone will have a favourite brand often dictated by a very good local dealer backup which is vital to any machine.

It seems you are settled on the sub 2 tonne category to suit your needs, and indeed the CAT 301.8C is a good strong reliable performer that has always commanded quite a premium at resale.

However at this point if you are after new I would shy away from CAT mini's as they are currently offering a new range of badged models that the jury is out on and this may affect resale values?

Plenty of votes on here for what is without question the toughest out there in this class the Takeuchi TB016, I have vast experience of this model and it simply punches above it's weight like nothing else and is so simple and straightforward to operate and maintain.

The downside is they don't come with any frills (great if you don't want them) but compared to their only rival the Kubota they seem aged.

Depending on your own applications my advice would be if you intend the machine to have several operators and perhaps the odd bit off self drive hire go for a Takeuchi. They excell at this being basic and easy to repair with very strong residual value many self drive hire companies go this way.

They now offer a new larger TB219 which takes this category to another level with longer reach and more power and could be exactly what you need.

However all that said, if it were simply to be my own machine then I'd only knock on Kubota's door and ask for the KX019? it's a special order machine but is available to uk customers. Again like the Takeuchi Tb219 it competes with, it has more reach and power. However the fit/finish and quality of the Kubota will show through and for an owner operator make the machine nicer to live with.

Don't discount Kubota will give you 3 years warranty if you're ever unlucky enough to need anything and their resale value is rock solid.

Regarding the actual cost of such machines against hiring? I have actually bought machines (Takeuchi's) for Clients on larger projects and Operated them myself. The clients have gone on to hire them out to local contacts and eventually move them on after their projects have finished.

In all cases the whole cost of machines has been covered in saved hire charges and actual hire, combined with the machines hardly dropping in value and needing only basic maintenance.

They soon end up with a nice profit from what would be dead money and plenty of fill in work for me.

As we always say the mini digger is the 'Cheapest man on the job!'

Eddie

If you use a mini with any sort of regularity I wouldn't bother hiring, minis hold their value well and although you can hire them cheap you still have to arrange collection etc which all starts to add up. I said it earlier in this thread but you really won't be dissapointed with the Takeuchi tb016, the same model has been running for about 13 years I think with very little changed so that must say something and resale value is astonishing. They look quite old skool but I rather like that myself.

What happened to the deal with Jim at JMS could you not screw him down?

I didn't proceed with that one after getting some more local advice. I'm totally new to these mini diggers and just want to make the right decision.

Really grateful for everyone's advice, thank you.

Hi Blades,

some very interesting points and everyone will have a favourite brand often dictated by a very good local dealer backup which is vital to any machine.

It seems you are settled on the sub 2 tonne category to suit your needs, and indeed the CAT 301.8C is a good strong reliable performer that has always commanded quite a premium at resale.

However at this point if you are after new I would shy away from CAT mini's as they are currently offering a new range of badged models that the jury is out on and this may affect resale values?

Plenty of votes on here for what is without question the toughest out there in this class the Takeuchi TB016, I have vast experience of this model and it simply punches above it's weight like nothing else and is so simple and straightforward to operate and maintain.

The downside is they don't come with any frills (great if you don't want them) but compared to their only rival the Kubota they seem aged.

Depending on your own applications my advice would be if you intend the machine to have several operators and perhaps the odd bit off self drive hire go for a Takeuchi. They excell at this being basic and easy to repair with very strong residual value many self drive hire companies go this way.

They now offer a new larger TB219 which takes this category to another level with longer reach and more power and could be exactly what you need.

However all that said, if it were simply to be my own machine then I'd only knock on Kubota's door and ask for the KX019? it's a special order machine but is available to uk customers. Again like the Takeuchi Tb219 it competes with, it has more reach and power. However the fit/finish and quality of the Kubota will show through and for an owner operator make the machine nicer to live with.

Don't discount Kubota will give you 3 years warranty if you're ever unlucky enough to need anything and their resale value is rock solid.

Regarding the actual cost of such machines against hiring? I have actually bought machines (Takeuchi's) for Clients on larger projects and Operated them myself. The clients have gone on to hire them out to local contacts and eventually move them on after their projects have finished.

In all cases the whole cost of machines has been covered in saved hire charges and actual hire, combined with the machines hardly dropping in value and needing only basic maintenance.

They soon end up with a nice profit from what would be dead money and plenty of fill in work for me.

As we always say the mini digger is the 'Cheapest man on the job!'

Eddie

Thanks for the detailed advice.