Mini Excavator advice

blades

Do these really small diggers actually cut the mustard. I have a 3 tonne Hitachi and at times wonder whether it is safe with a heavy bucket full of clay soil.

Ha good point, but to be honest a1.6t mini with expanding takes quite a bit to tip it and any one with experiance of them should know well before they actually go over. Iv dug out bits of granite weighing 1.5 ton by digging round it then digging a ramp for it to slide out of the hole and my Takeuchi did it no probs, wouldn,t want to do it everyday tho!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kubota and Tackeuchi both good little machines.

Have you thought about how much you would use it?

The reason I ask is that I have never been able to justify owning a mini excavator, and we use them often enough. They are so ridiculously cheap to rent. Why not save up the jobs, get a machine in for a week, do the work ( you can even get a larger machine for bigger jobs when needed like pond digging etc. )

I pay around £ 160 a week for 1.5 tonner plus fuel and £ 190 for 3 tonner, no worries about it standing and being nicked no servicing, something goes wrong they fix or bring another. Easy. ( these rates are from a nationwide plant hire firm )

I know its nice having kit, but the sums have to work out to justify it.

Kubota and Tackeuchi both good little machines.

Have you thought about how much you would use it?

The reason I ask is that I have never been able to justify owning a mini excavator, and we use them often enough. They are so ridiculously cheap to rent. Why not save up the jobs, get a machine in for a week, do the work ( you can even get a larger machine for bigger jobs when needed like pond digging etc. )

I pay around £ 160 a week for 1.5 tonner plus fuel and £ 190 for 3 tonner, no worries about it standing and being nicked no servicing, something goes wrong they fix or bring another. Easy. ( these rates are from a nationwide plant hire firm )

I know its nice having kit, but the sums have to work out to justify it.

A good point!!

Do these really small diggers actually cut the mustard. I have a 3 tonne Hitachi and at times wonder whether it is safe with a heavy bucket full of clay soil.

in all fairness the small 360's are as capable of tipping over as a 30 tonner, operator experiance is what makes these machines safe or a danger...... try not to pull/ excavate/ or slew whilst the machine isnt level, use the machine to create a level bed on which to operate from, dont worry about making a mess-thats in-evitable!!!!!!

when you slew round with a heavy bucket keep the boom low, worst case the machine will tilt over & rest the bucket on the ground. best to use a smaller bucket thou if its pulling the machine over, above all respect the power of hydraulics & bear in mind the weight of the machine, over the years ive pushed big machines to & beyond their limits, not sensible to be trying to climb near vertically in a 17 tonner!!!!

i guess overall they are the same as any machine....... only as safe as the operator!!!

oh... id say the tekuchi is the better machine :thumbup:

Takeuchi or Schaeff all the way IMO. Lots of tear out power for the size of the machines, better build quality and more than one hydraulic pump. If you are looking at 3 tonne machines IME you can get 2 arm lengths. Get the shorter armed machine, as the longer arm just serves to overbalance the machine. TBH a 1.5 tonne Takeuchi will outdig a 3 tonne JCB any day.

Aftersales on CAT is superb from what i have been told.

Takeuchi or Schaeff all the way IMO. Lots of tear out power for the size of the machines, better build quality and more than one hydraulic pump. If you are looking at 3 tonne machines IME you can get 2 arm lengths. Get the shorter armed machine, as the longer arm just serves to overbalance the machine. TBH a 1.5 tonne Takeuchi will outdig a 3 tonne JCB any day.

Aftersales on CAT is superb from what i have been told.

Funny you mention Takeuchi... I have found one for sale local to me and plan to go and see it on Saturday.... it's the model TB016, it's looks almost new :thumbup1:

001.jpg.366c91c666fbd0f443ba8e1df7eb0167.jpg

If acces isn't a problem go for a 3 ton machine the 1.6's have no ability to move material in bulk and are considerably less stable and comfortable to operate. Volvos tend to be nice powerful machines, jcb cheap tat, tekeuchi's in my experience tend to be underpowered compared to Kybota and Volvo counterparts. Also worth noting the kybotas tend to struggle with multi tasking more than most. If you have alot of work to do it may be worth considering just hiring in a 10t machine for a week or two and just doing it all like that, on medium to large scale stuff the larger machine gives a far better finish and efficiency.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.383507,0.565991