My first Double braid splice

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I was shown with 16 strand. The yellow was where my mark fell and the orange is the strand which it uncovered and came from the same origin/hole in the cover as the yellow.

From your pics it seems you've pulled a second (pair of) strands from in line with your mark on the first (pair of) strands but not the same origin.

Is this not so important with double as 16 strand or is it not that important with 16 strand but just the way I've been shown??

I followed the new england youtube guide and it turned out very easy to do with the tips and tricks in their vid to avoid bunchingQUOTE]

Dean, did you also use his measurements, ie. fid lengths rather than using measurements in cm??

if the latter, where did you get them from? Ive got a wire pull fid on order so wonder if i need to get a push fid as per the video? I saw this about a week back and i only hope i find it as easy as this guy makes it look!

ps. sorry for hijacking your thread but im going to be attempting the same splice in the same rope for my first double braid too!

I worked it out from a fid length table on 1/2" rope which was one fids length is 10 1/2" and a short fid 3 1/2"

I used a splicing wand which was quite hard, would have been much easier with a wire or push fid.

What I did was read their tutorial in PDF then watch that video pausing it for each step of the splice and it really does become as easy as he makes it look

Sent from my iPhone cos it was

there saying 21-22x diameter, i go for 25x ( its just easier to do the maths in my head that way doing multiple differnt ropes all day). same for short fid-i use 10x dia they say 1/3 of long fid. this makes my fids longer but i do a finer taper to make up for it-does that make sense?