Brown ballistics time

Patchwork

I suspect your sink cut was too shallow. In 20 years I've not had a stem barberchair on me. usually because on a species thats prone to splitting I will go 1/2 way in or maybe even more on the sink cut.

Experience and good guidance is everything!

I knocked some pretty big bits out of leaning crack willow, ash and popular, and have only ever noticed hairline crack forming so i just push the saw through quicker. Sap wood cuts and big sinks is the way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The potential for things to go wrong increase with every bit of advice you get from the ground, especially when their interest lies in getting tree on the ground asap.

Things always look rosey and easy from the ground because they have totally different perspective.

If in doubt take it in bits you can manage.

Dropping large sections from the crown takes experience. Best to watch others first, without offering any advice!

only me and my forman on the job. hes a really really nice guy and was saying its totall up to me, i stupidly said "yeah sure i can top it" instead of just slowly working on stripping it. today is the day i relised that im accountable for my decisions and actions in a tree. and i will keep this as my mantra from now on

the trouble with my attitude at the moment is im way to eager to get up into big trees and get more experience. been asking to climb every tree and do every job so i can get experience mainly been reductions, thin and pollards so far. so when he asked if i wanted to try my hand at knocking the crown out a slightly dodgey tree i was throwing my rope up befor he had finised asking...

Who are you working for in Surrey mate, that used to be my stamping ground until recently. I'd echo the advise above a big gob and small sap wood cuts pretty much will allways work.

I've never had a barber chair up a tree and i've taken some huge top out in the middle of woods on some jobs.