National Meripilus Network

Marcus B-T

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

I know I keeping harping on but, the work at Burghley with just a good depth (some would say excessive) of chip is impressive in reducing compaction and cheap.

Absolutely - I just wondered if as the airspade was out already it was used for a bit of soil fluffing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alinicoll said:

The most basic form of mitigation I can think of in the and most likely to happen in this case is slinging a load of mulch about and seeing what happens. There's plenty of dead Beech in the area to chip :)

I've not been to Burghley, it would probably be worth a trip.

A little taster.. 

Some of the new avenues that Peter propagated and planted aren't in areas open to the public and neither is the champion Castanea in the thread. But it's a good site generally for some significant trees. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally as promised here are some Resi readings from the tree we air-spaded.

The first reading was taken down into the buttress on the westerly side of the tree where the investigation took place.

IMG_7834.thumb.JPG.4dab628fa9315c416de3e87ff19a61d6.JPG

59de5d67b7a4f_MDbeech1.thumb.jpg.6ea68097771bca6e1d8753a8d959a9f1.jpg

The reading indicates sound wood up to about 14cm degrading rapidly between about 15 - 20cm and then into very degraded wood. A reading taken horizontally into the stem at 50cm indicated only sound wood.

59de5eae0f5ea_MDbeech17.thumb.jpg.819aa4fcb17a5b651d570880f4e455b6.jpg

The reading taken down into the opposite (easterly) buttress was good to 33cm and then dropped right off into what I can only assume is open cavity or soil.

59de606205d15_MDbeech15.thumb.jpg.101aac9cbf1a22afbe798cc3b88df2df.jpg

The Northerly and southerly buttresses showed reasonably normal readings

59de612041e08_MDbeech14.thumb.jpg.1f7a198ab672e7c10385213308bf8437.jpg

59de614ee790f_MDbeech16.thumb.jpg.eb2744cdaedd8db5150d57050e4280ed.jpg

The last reading may indicate some degradation after 22cm but nothing nearly as significant as to the east and west.

In conclusion the decay does not appear to be in the stem, an eccentric decay cone is probably present in the buttresses although it's not out of the question there are two separate colonizations to the east and west. The roots on the easterly side were fairly significantly decayed. The roots to the east also had a lot of Meripilus fruiting bodies so may be similarly degraded. The roots to the north and south will remain a mystery unless we decide to poke about further at some point.