National Meripilus Network

Marcus B-T

Yet another fascinating thread!

The other question I have is there appears to be 2 versions of meripilus..... the chunky eggy bread kind which was on the beech mentioned above and the more finer delicate type which was once described to me as 'poppadom like'. Any thoughts out there?

If you would like the information I have on the Beech mentioned above, let me know ..

There are is certainly a consensus that it appears as if there are two different forms, and there is some work being undertaken at the moment to determine whether these are actually distinct species, or just different fruiting forms.

There are various hypotheses as to why the different forms occur, but I am not aware of any confirmation as to the answers at this time.

As for your final question, yes please post more info and photographs if you have them.

These are from the Beech

Yes, I thought it might be this one you were refering to.

We undertook some exploratory work on this tree as part of a demo for the LTOA.

Only part of the root system was exposed for inspection, but it is the section that is included in your photographs.

See series below:

59765397b3c80_HighgateRootExpo03c.JPG.dd693862e5414c1931b605b403757b46.JPG

59765397b137a_HighgateRootExpo02c.JPG.200b4517723d1ddc94031fa6e039fc2c.JPG

59765397af111_HighgateRootExpo01c.JPG.f92872e92dc96e5ece95e5e6b86cdd6a.JPG

These are from the Beech mentioned by Rebecca.

(Not sure if you had all these Bec)

First is from '99

Second and third are from Sep '04, I understand,

and last two are from last week

Cheers I was going to call you and ask how you get pictures on here ???? Oh so much to learn :blushing:

Question : Do you think the airspade had anything to do with the absence of meripilus this year? I know it's 3 years since the airspade and I know the meripilus was there last year for sure.

Thanks again Andew

Maybe it stops when conditions are not right. I have two very large and old oak trees with Ganoderma i have watched it for 6 years this year it is not active all the old fruiting bodies are there still but no new ones. Also i have got beech with ganoderma and after 6 years they are still solid, but red oaks with ganoderma go soft within a year or two.:001_smile:

More info on the Beech I mentioned earlier and Monkeyd kindly posted photos of the beech in question;

We are lucky enough to have a local fungi enthusiast who has been surveying our wood since 1996. The following dates are from her records.

Meripilus was seen on the Beech:

1996 - 10 Jan / 11 Dec

1997 - 3 Oct / 19/ Dec

1998 - 25 Jul / 4 Oct / 17 Oct

1999 - 6 Aug / 3 Sept / 19 Sept / 30 Sept

2000 - 18 Aug / 11 Oct

2002 - 29 Sep

2003 - 9 Oct

2004 - 10 Sept

2005 - 20 Aug

2006 - 29 Aug

2007 - 2 Oct

It seems 2001 records have been misplaced.

This year the Meripilus has failed to fruit, canopy on the tree looks fine with very little dead wood visible.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem with domestic tree surgery ecspecially at the moment is if you turn up and look at a Beech tree with merip on it, and 30-40% crown die back the client is NOT going to pay for further exploratory works when 8 out of 10 arborists that have quoted have condemed it on the spot. It makes you look like your trying to extract further money from the client. Wrong I know but that's the reality out there.

I felled lots of trees in my contracting business that maybe had more life left in them and i also spent alot of time working with a wildlife trust to retain infected trees for as long as possible.

30-40% dieback in the crown indicates considerable ( not insignificant) vascular dysfunction and would rightly be cause for concern imo. Notwithstanding, the opinion on merip seems substantially compounded by cases of failure with little or no evidence of disease. This is what is wrong with the current view of the fungus' lifecycle and true nature.

30-40% dieback is a tree under duress, weakened and relying on energy reserves stored in the sapwood and roots. Under duress and significant attack as the vitality aswell as vigor is spent and working at the very limit. There can be little real reaction from the tree, the laying down of new, mechanically stategic woody material in order to compensate for loss of structural strength, or for that matter, codit defences to made effective. It requires alot of enrgy from the tree. Energy that is imo, compromised and at a premium at this stage.

this is where so much of the contradictions and frankly, unimformed opinion/management originates. Not all of which I hasten to add is the result poor management....I believe the lack of data on the fungus has its influence aswell.

Statistics are being incorrectly summarised by virtue of their scant nature.....(?)

I think the problem with domestic tree surgery ecspecially at the moment is if you turn up and look at a Beech tree with merip on it, and 30-40% crown die back the client is NOT going to pay for further exploratory works when 8 out of 10 arborists that have quoted have condemed it on the spot. It makes you look like your trying to extract further money from the client. Wrong I know but that's the reality out there.

Orrrrrrrrr suggest root investigation and stand out head and shoulders above the competition, not all clients want to loose a tree, how many times did you hear, is there anything we can do to save the tree..

Just my tuppence worth and obviously horses for courses..