What would you do with this lot?

MarkG

We've been taking joiners waste in for a while now, bagging it as logs and kindling some.

Its kiln dried softwood. Some people turn their nose up at it, as I thought they would, because it's planed and also being softwood instead of a nice real log.

I'm just undecided whether to make all of it into kindling and focus on that or keep bagging it and take some criticism on the phone when I tell people what it is.

Just want some thoughts really.

woodpile.jpg.564db47ad0d977d22c784c91c128ff03.jpg

The stuff on the right will sell on ebay for £15 in a builders bag its to small to efficiently turn into kindling. Because the stuff on the left is a bit longer you could get 3 or 4 pieces out and feed through kindlet. We are always scouting about for reject timber to turn into kindling but the stuff on the right will earn u a pound an hour so we leave it where it is. Another option is chip it for bio mass.

TBH, if you are advertising it as logs, rather than firewood, I'm not surprised people are upset about it. I would turn all of it into kindling that can be rather than risk disappointing log customers and advertise the rest cheaply as joinery off-cuts for burning. :001_smile:

Edited by felixthelogchopper
Took a better look at photo with specs on, not off

The pile on the right is made up of off cuts between just over 6" up to about 8"/9". I've tried to look for customers to buy woodchip but can't drop on any yet. It's a good possible outlet but just need to do more legwork in that area to find some really.

Sorry, I shouldn't have put logs. I have advertised it as firewood and do explain to people what it is when they call.

shame ur not closer, i'd take the lot off ur hands as it is by the grain trailer load! Goes into my log burner just as well as a bit with bark on it!!:biggrin:

I'd say best bet was to sell it as joinery waste by just bagging it up as is or bulk delivery and explaining to the customer what it is? But i have no experience of selling wood!!:blushing:

Thanks for the input everyone. We were given the opportunity last year to take this waste wood and sold all we had. It was totally experimental and wanted something to fill in during the winter. As I want to make a business out of this I have to pick the right product to focus on and make it work. I'm keen to make kindling out of what we get, there isn't anyone right on my doorstep doing it. I do wonder if too many people might be looking into producing kindling. What do you think about the supply/demand for this season so far?