Help quoting a job, Description inside.

MankeyJohn

Hello,

Ad I am very new to this and I'm only 16 I thought I would get a rounded opinion on quoting/pricing up jobs. So far I have had some fairly wide variety of answers from people I work with and my tutors.

The job in question is cutting down 5 (4 - 5 ft) X Cupressocypairs leylandii, Leyland cypairs, taking the roots out and taking away the wood. I have been told to do 2 quotes for the job, One taking the wood, and one leaving, but I'm going to see if I can do another 2 for leaving the roots in but just cutting them to ground level. Anyway What I really would like to know is what kind of money should I be asking. Considering that it's for a friend, I am the only one doing it so I'm going to be slow. The site Is easy to accesses and I am going to be able to use a Little chipper because it's only a small tree/Hedge.

Thank you very much and thanks to anyone that should reply.

Mankey John

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how old they are & how they hane been maintained,but you should get them stripped to poles then grub & winch them out easy enough,pics would help,but if they are as I imagine,with chaisaw axe & just rope you will get them in a day easy.

Depends how old they are & how they hane been maintained,but you should get them stripped to poles then grub & winch them out easy enough,pics would help,but if they are as I imagine,with chaisaw axe & just rope you will get them in a day easy.

Thanks, There only about 1.5 meters around each tree, and not that much limbs on them. There is a fence behind the leylandii and the leylandii comes out 1 meter from the fence (see diagram)

I'd say $450.

I will convert that into £ because I'm English but thanks for you're imput and reply.

Work.jpg.de828a8760711110ce8c10079eb85101.jpg

A lot depends on the stem diameter in the first few feet,if they are single stem under 6 inch down low they will be out in no time,put a day on it & work out what you want for that,good learning process.

It's just a general Idea. I don't wont to rip him off because he's A friend because I don't know how to price things. But then again I don't wont to do It for nothing because he's my dads friend :) If he's not happy with my quote I will just say get someone to quote it and I will cut 10% or 20% off.

Thanks for reply guys, Nice to see people helping out the younger generation.

Mankey John

MankeyJohn: The conversion would = 280 Pounds. After calculating your expenses determine what you need to make off of this job for your profit. I believe it would be a good idea if you leave friendship out of your calculations since your in business to make a profit first. If the customer is happy with the price and quality of your work the friendship will have been earned and so it begins,your journey along the road of the self-employed.

Your among a selected group of other professionals living the dream and sharing one another's trials and tribulations along the way. Keep us posted. All the best.

easy-lift guy

MankeyJohn: The conversion would = 280 Pounds. After calculating your expenses determine what you need to make off of this job for your profit. I believe it would be a good idea if you leave friendship out of your calculations since your in business to make a profit first. If the customer is happy with the price and quality of your work the friendship will have been earned and so it begins,your journey along the road of the self-employed.

Your among a selected group of other professionals living the dream and sharing one another's trials and tribulations along the way. Keep us posted. All the best.

easy-lift guy

Wise words.:001_smile:

(To Long)

Thank you very much. I am going to start doing the quote right after I stop writing this. I Will take in what everyone has said but as you said, at the end of gthe day if he is happy with the quote then it's all good. Thanks and I will keep you posted and i will tell you how the job went, If i get it.

Mankey John

Edited by MankeyJohn