070 for milling?

Robert Raven

parts arent to bad, they are old design from late 1970's ish type era but they still make them (or if they dont they did until recently for overseas markets), the anti vibs can be a bit fierce but thats not generally that bigger issue on an alaskan mill really,

The 070 can still take modern bars and chains (although bars wise really only Stihl, Cannon and GB). Other parts I've heard can be hard to find.

It has a mount more similar to 880 than 660. I think it differs from 880 in that oiler hole is in a different place although I'm not sure on that one....

Hi everyone. I just bought an 070 from eBay, powerhead only, so I am now in the market for a bar and chain for milling. My Alaskan is the 36" model. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to good sites?

I believe these saws can take two different chain pitches, so I will have to check the sprocket when it arrives, can anyone tell me how I can figure out from the sprocket which chain pitch I need? If the sprocket is knackered and needs replacing, what pitch should I go for?

Finally I will soon be selling my 048 which has a nearly new 28" bar and ripping chain as well as an 18" bar and chain. Will the forum allow me to post a link to it?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Rob

I have bars and chains for this. Also sprockets (both Stihl and Oregon).

Bar wise you are a little limited but you can get a Cannon 36", GB 50", or Cannon 50". All the others are Stihl Duromatics with solid noses.

Personally I'd go for the .404 option. You'll lose a little more kerf but I find the chain is more durable to dulling and has better chip clearance. I've spent a while alternating between 3/8 and .404 chain and have settled on .404 for big saws.

Give us a call 07811611457 or PM when you get the saw if you like. I have everything in stock.

Parts appear to be reasonably obtainable. A lot are interchangeable with the 090G, some with the 090 and even a reasonable number with the Contra (the naming was originally just a rebranding exercise). It's worth downloading .pdf's of all the above manuals and cross-referencing part numbers. Also worth checking ebay.com (rather than .co.uk) as a couple of the American sellers will happily ship to the UK, but don't list here.

Alec