MC's and all that jazz!

Crazy Cutter

Have been checking moisture contents today as was doing a job for a non-customer so had the chance to check their delivery! The load was seasoned hardwood mainly birch and pine! with occasional sycamore, when split open MC was 35%. Now this was delivered by someone who is fairly large in the trade around here and i was really quite shocked but am now understanding why Joe Public is becoming picky and choosy before parting with their money (i could have said cash but that's another thread!)

Have now been checking MC's on my stuff when re-spilt:

Horse Chestnut felled June, really light, in the shed 32%

Oak felled June, looks good nice and light, in the shed 34%

Ash felled May, still quite heavy, stored outside 26%

Scots Pine felled July, Light, in the shed 17%

Well what does that tell us, softwood must be the way to go when you start turning volumes over. If only they would buy it they won't be disappointed!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my god crazy cutter did you not read the edp suppliment on saturday a chimmny sweep is qouted saying silver birch and pine should never be burnt in fires because of all the resin oh my god iv'e 100 ton of birch what should i do!!!!!!! and it was all 27%

Edited by Big Bolt

The trouble is people lap it up! In an ideal world it would all be seasoned, so thats no pine sales for us then in norfolk! Tell me whats wrong with birch?

I do have some people who don't worry about wetness they just stoke it up and away they go. My father-in-law is a nightmare you won't believe what goes on it and once in a while i clean it out for the scrap in there!

You boys keep piling out the wet stuff, as soon as a customer see's someone else's stove that is being fed properly dry wood then they will switch suppliers, to me !!!. I have processed hardwood at 24% inside, no way thats going out till next winter. My soft is averaging around 15% at present, some is a bit higher but most is 8-11%.

Almost everyone round me is selling 'seasoned' at 25% plus, some are over 40%. The only option apparant to some customers is kiln dried.

A

You boys keep piling out the wet stuff, as soon as a customer see's someone else's stove that is being fed properly dry wood then they will switch suppliers, to me !!!. I have processed hardwood at 24% inside, no way thats going out till next winter. My soft is averaging around 15% at present, some is a bit higher but most is 8-11%.

Almost everyone round me is selling 'seasoned' at 25% plus, some are over 40%. The only option apparant to some customers is kiln dried.

A

I wish i was as good as you!! If i don't sell it i don't pay the mortgage, once again i will have to try and cut extra more for next year.

Checked some beech today feels half the weight of green and has that seasoned look but cracked open its 38%. Can someone tell me how the weight changes but the MC doesn't or am i being dumb?