Tree ID practice

RobArb

I know you guys and gals like a challenge. Attached are 4 photos from the topside and underside of leaflets of 2 species of trees collected from a reliable garden a few months ago. A bit dried out now but the shapes are as they were. See if you can get both species, they are from the same Order but not the same family, but both are native to China. The shorter one is 3 inches, the longer 6 inches. Both have indications of their oriental origin in their names.

DSCN0441.jpg.11bae296348df0ba4081cd5a9887f66e.jpg

DSCN0440.jpg.13e5984fd3d915afb1348b67eca017b2.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg.8127f51d35f602414c9f798924c48c00.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg.60066b79e4ec85dac26440e50c66e5ad.jpg

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My last one btw was Castanea henryi, doubt anyone would have got that one :-P har har har

aaaaah we're entering the realm of dried up 'herbarium' type idents... should be fun..

I'll get the ball rolling with my first stab of Fraxinus chinensis

Edited by jwade

Who ever said it was the scientific names that contained oriental references? And if you need a hint, the oriental references are to places. May or may not include China, but they're both different references.

Sorry about teh Pot Purri ident test, it is a long cold dark winter and this is merely for amusement in the absence of any more reliable photos.

Unless you want to get into winter twig idents, I am out on survey 3 days a week and can bring back loads? I just won't be able to guarantee what they are.